1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Longer the truck sits. It turns over, But has harder time starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default Longer the truck sits. It turns over, But has harder time starting

93 s10 blazer 4.3L vortec.

I'm still working out the bugs and this is one of them. What happens is when the truck sits. It will turn over and sometimes you can tell it wants to catch. But just cranks until I don't want to run the battery down all the way.

So it sat for three weeks and when I went to go start it. Cranked just fine. Tried to catch once. But nope. Have one of those 10 amp battery chargers and went back and forth for 1 hour or about 6 times before it would catch and run.

Then again it sat for 10 days. After 4 times it catches and run.

Then today I had to hit is three times after sitting for like 2 days.

Oh and once it starts and runs. It starts up just fine. It seems the longer it sits. The worse it gets for trying to start it. I thought this problem went away since if I drive it every other day or what not. I don't have a issue.

I did replace the engine coolant sensor. No change. It does not seem to matter what the weather outside is. Checked to see if there was any codes and just got the #12 all clear. I did smell gass today unlike the other days. When it did start I also heard popping noises in the air intake chamber. I have talked about this before in another post.

I was going to wait to post this since I do need replace fuel sending unit. I read some place that it can cause the pressure to leak out of the line when sitting or some such thing. Plus I have a new egr for the truck. But I doubt that is the issue. I tried to follow through the hines manual with no luck.

My brother is stump because when I first had this issue. I smelled gas. So he thought maybe no spark but tested for spark and is fine. check for fuel pressure, fine. You can look at the other post I had for detail into it.

So now I'm looking into the strange. Would be nice to go out after a week and be able to start it. Oh and yes I held the peddle in all the way to signal flood. But I double it does any good since the battery dies. Also I tried anything from just holding the key on to just trying to bump it. When I bump it I did get the gass smell. So I figured I flooded it when I keeped swtich the key on and off.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Josh

Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Suggestion 1: Don't let it sit lol
Suggestion 2: Try cycling the key a couple times before starting it if it has been sitting. Whenever you turn the key to the run, not start, position you should be able to hear the fuel pump running, after it cuts off turn the key back off and then back to the run position. do this a couple times and see if it helps.
Suggestion 2: Replace fuel pump. Mine did essentially the same thing. It started like that, but soon got to the point where it would sit for 7-8 hours and have trouble cranking. I replaced the pump and I no longer have issues.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Starting Member
Default fuel pump

I did that about 1 year ago with a filter. But I have considered that since last summer after replacing it. Since that what everybody says it is. Even though it is a ac delco. But the pressure seems to be okay. But since I have not tested it myself. I let the mechanic do it. It might just be a tad under what it should be and I know after my brother rebuilt the engine. It didn't do that. But the old pump was on the way out. Making noises. stalling and finally died. So I got a new pump. Just to hate spending another 40.00 on ebay for another ac delco pump. But maybe that is why. I got mine on ebay. Instructions in spanish but all good for part numbers.

Josh

Old 01-11-2015, 10:31 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Yeah, you'll need a more experienced member's knowledge on brand, but from what I've read over time is that if it is a crap one then don't expect it to last much longer than a year. I would tell you the one I got but my dad ordered it for me so I'm not sure the brand or where he got it, but I want to say it was more than $40.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Starting Member
Default slight update

So I decided to not start the truck over the day. I did the following.

1. turn key on and off about 6 times (cranking each time)
2. smelled gass under hood (Ahh flooded it?)
3. got out after 10 or 15 minutes
6. Hit key on and off three more times. (cranking it each time)
7. starts up. shakes a little but starts.
8. Now starts okay.

Any idea of this crazy issue?

thanks,

Josh

Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Here is a link for testing fuel delivery. The procedure on your 1993 Vortec is the same, but specs are different. Do the two tests and post the results, (4 different pressure readings). https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

Old 01-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
Default update

My brother came other with the fuel tester and we have no pressure. I thought something was up because after I replaced the fuel pump about 1 year ago. It had strange issues a while after I got it. Past the 90 day warranty. Just kind of gets me going since I purchased a ac delco unit. The only thing I can think of is I got a bad one or it was a fake. Due to the price. (Ill also doubl check the part number to make sure I got the correct one for the engine.) So this time I double checked all the number and ordered another ac delco pump. Slightly higher in price but from a different vendor. We will see how this goes. Some might think it is the fuel filter. But I did 3 of those since I owned the truck. One when putting on the new pump. But to back track a bit. A while back when we tested it. I noticed the fuel pressure would not hold 55 to 50 after ignition off. Compared to right after I got it. But I read it might be a bad pump or some kind of part in the fuel sending unit. So this time I got a doorman sending unit with a new pump on the way. Hopefully this solves if for good. I'll post my reply back when I get everything installed. Oh and yes I get a good 12 volts to the pump. I can hear it turn on too.

Josh

Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Starting Member
Default Update

Replaced Fuel sending unit and pump. But we still have a pressure issue. Drops down to 30. Then holds. But drops down slowley after that until nothing. So as my brother put it. not keeping a prime. Also the pressure was 55 when we flipped the key. We ran out of time last night. So next week he will come over and to a complete break down. It bugs me though. We replaced everything except for the fuel lines to and from the tank. But we smell no gas and see no leaks. The good news is that I fueled the tanks up and no leaks from between the fuel sending unit and the tank. So knock on wood. My brother is happy with the door man sending unit. Since the tank was pretty empty. I put 1 gallon of gas in it and I think there might have been 1 gallon left in it. So I assume 2 gallons? I know assume nothing but the the gauge reads 2 bars on the digital cluster. This seems about right. I remember a former boss of mine had a 4 door back when it was new and once it hit no bars it was out of gas. My rule of thumb is fuel it up when the light start blinking. Anyway back to the update. I replaced the following.

1. spider sending unit
2. fuel nut kit.
3. pump
4. fuel sending unit
5. fuel filter.

My brother thinks maybe the fuel pressure regulator went bad since we replaced the spider fuel injector and had a good test at that point. then xx number of month later did the pump. Lucky this is a rebuild from auto zone with warranty. I'll give another update after we do the testing.

thanks,

Josh

Old 01-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Your leak down to 30psi is a problem, so there's obviously a leak somewhere. It doesn't matter what parts were replaced, there's a problem that needs to be diagnosed, (without guessing). We need to know all 4 readings from the link in post #6 to determine where the leak is. Sometime between now and next week, when your Brother comes back, round up the parts and build the adapter for the fuel filter.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Starting Member
Default update and strange thing with spider fuel injector.

I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. Seems to be working great. But I have also been driving the truck around for a while now. So a good test would let it sit for a week. But I think I got bad pump 1 year ago or so. When we put that one in. We had a hard time getting the truck to start. This time with the new pump. It fired right up. So crossing my fingers. I'll give the final update when I get a chance to let it sit for week. Also the only other strange thing I ran into was. When I was checking out the spider sending unit. I didn't find any leaks but the pressure was not holding that well. After placing the injector back down. (AKA handling it all over the place). It now holds pressure. Still not no 10 minutes or whatever it is. But at least over 2 minutes. What sucks though is the spider might been bad. It was over the 1 year warranty from autozone. Sigh. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Josh

Quick Reply: Longer the truck sits. It turns over, But has harder time starting