1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

LOTS OF GAS IN MY OIL ????

Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member
charrliy525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LOTS OF GAS IN MY OIL ????

1994 CHEVY BLAZER,I HAVE BEEN TOLD SO MUCH B.S. ABOUT WHAT MAY BE CUASEN THIS MAJOR PROBLEM IM AT A LOST.IF I DRAIN ALL OIL N GAS OUT OF THE BLOCK,PUT NEW OIL N FILTER BK IN IT,RUN IT FOR SAY--10MINS OR MORE,TURN IT OFF,pULL OUT THE DIPSTICK,iT WILL BE FULL TO THE TOP WITH GAS MIXED IN WITH THE OIL,iVE BEEN TOLD ITS A BAD INJECTOR OVER DUMPING A CYLINDER.bUT 5+ QUARTS OF GAS IN 10 MINUTES SEEMS WAY TO MUCH FOR 1 INJECTOR TO DO.sO PLEASE-ANYONE OUT THERE CAN TELL ME WHERE TO START BEFORE JUST DIVEN INTO THIS MOTOR AND LIKE ALWAYS WHEN I DIVE IN-wIND UP SPENDING WAY TO MUCH CASH ON STUFF I DIDNT NEED.Let me know and ill keep everyone updated till its solved or i burn it to the ground from running gas instead of motoroil-lol-let me know and thanx a bunch for haven these forums.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: LOTS OF GAS IN MY OIL ????

Another newb with the CAPS lock on!!! ARRG...

Anyway, you only have 1 LARGE injector. Does the truck run???

I'm not all that familiar with the CPI engine, but I do know that there is one large injector that feeds 6 poppet valves, one pointed towards each intake port in the heads. It is a common occurance with the CPI engines to have a LARGE fuel leak. Basically, you're going to want to have the upper intake taken off, ALL new o-rings for the fuel system at the engine and a new FPR. I am betting that when you pull the upper intake off, you're going to find a very nice clean area on the aluminum lower intake where the fuel was spraying out of the FPR.

When you key on the truck (don't start it, just put the key to the run position), I'm betting that your fuel pump never shuts off, just runs and runs. Many times, the fuel pressure regulator is the culprit so it would probably be a good idea to replace that while you are in there. The FPR will fail dumping full flow/pressure fuel into the intake. That is why I asked if the truck will run... It shouldn't with that much fuel making it into the intake!

Pics to come for you once I find them.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member

sorry about the caps-i saw that after typen alot and didnt feel like starten over,anyway-YES-even full to the top of the stick with gas/oil itll fire right up and drive any where u want it to.Thats why its so wierd.and i beleive the fuel pump humms for 10-15 secs then off like it should also.But bottom line is-i need to pull the whole head off for starters?i forgot inmy post also to mention its the 4.3 vortec motor in it.thanx again and keep the opions coming.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE FROM ANOTHER FORUM I'M ON - Not by me
This is long... but It will explain alot of things:

I have been on this board for a while, and have found many people that have a CPI system that is breaking and they have to replace it. For those of you that don't know the CPI system was used on engines from about 92-95. And is trademarked by a plenum cover that says "vortec" in orange and an intake that starts from the front left headlight. I have a 94 s-10 blazer and my cpi broke and i replaced it myself.

The CPI Unit is located inside the upper intake plenum. It consists of the cpi which is connected (integrated) into the fuel pressure regulator. To see the system, you must take off the upper plenum. The unit is located in the center of the intake, with 6 poppet lines/nozzles branching off of it.

There is 2 things that tend to break with this system over time. They are

1. Fuel pressure regulator: this is the most common thing that breaks. There is a diaphram inside the fuel pressure regulator that breaks and will leak gas into the plenum. The fuel pressure regulator is in the center of the intake on the passenger side. It looks like a gold cylinder.

2. Inlet/Return fuel lines: There are 2 fuel lines that connect to the cpi unit. They are on the drivers side. They will weaken over time and can get pinsize holes in them that will leak gas into the intake.

Common systems of these failing are: Bad idle, hard to start, shaky revs, low gas mileage, and most important i think is bad smell from the exhaust.

The best way to check for a failure is to remove the upper plenum. The plenum is the huge piece under the "vortec" plastic peice. Looks like 3 tubes going down on each side. There are about 9 or 10 bolts that you need to take out and also remove electrical things, etc. to get it off. I would suggest buying a haynes manual or chiltons manual. They explain it well. I am not a mechanical expert, and i DID this myself. It really isnt that hard if you take your time. Shouldnt take more than 30 mintues or so the first time.

If you do this, and get the intake off, look at it from the front. If 1 side of the intake appears clean, this will be where the leak is comming from. If it is passenger side, it is probably the fuel pressure regulator, if it is on the drivers side, it is probably the fuel lines.

*SORRY DEAD PHOTO LINK*

This is my intake above. As you can see the fuel pressure regulator has leaked and fuel has got into the intake and cleaned it, thats why it appears goldish. If no fuel has leaked, it should look all grimy, like the drivers' side in the picture.

There is also other ways to check for a leak, but arent as effective. One way is to disconnect the brake booster line and smell for gas. It comes out the back of the plenum and goes to the brake booster at the back right of the engine on the firewall, (if looking from the front.)

It is very easy to replace the CPI unit and fuel return lines. I don't really want to go into details, but if you need help, email me.

I would suggest buying your parts at www.gmpartszone.comm, they have the best prices i found, and are very helpful. I wouldn't suggest gmpartsdirect.com. I orderd from them, and it was taking forever so i canceled, and they have horrible customer support.

The CPI unit gm part # is 17113673.
The fuel lines, called a "nut kit" are # 17112705
Prices are about $272, and $40 respectively.

If you want to go to the dealer, expect to pay $473, and $63. I've checked. If you want them to do the install, expect $700-900+. Rip off.

Its not hard to do it yourself, and i would strongly suggest doing it. I did mine for about $350 total (and i had the parts overnighted). Just need a socket set, screwdrivers, etc. Basic tools.
Another link for you:
http://robstark.com/cpi.htm
http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm

You probably should look at rep

Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Administrator

You'll save a ton of money doing this yourself. You shouldn't need anything but common hand tools.

*EDIT* - LOL says the same thing on the last line of that quote! Geez...

Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Beginning Member

thanks so much u have no clue-this was the most in deph explenation and simplest so far,u would not beleive the stuff ive been told that doesnt even have squat to do with the gas and oil,ill pull it all off tommorrow and let you know what i find underneath.thanx and im looking forward to filling y`all in,thanx again and happy holidays to all of you guys here.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:15 AM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Injector and Nut Kit replacement with pictures link

Click on the above link if you would like picutres of the process and the parts involved. I did this to my 1993 about 6 weeks ago. If you scroll down on the first page you'll find all the pictures of the process with text imbedded.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:55 AM
Beginning Member

heres some caps for y`all that hate them even though i dont see the difference(its eaier to see bigger things)Y`ALL AND THIS SITE FRIGGEN ROCK AND WHY IS IT I FIND IT AFTER A BUNCH OF AGGRAVATION ON MY 2000 BLAZER AND WEEKS OF CHIT FROM IDIOTS ABOUT THIS 94` BLAZER.FRKN CRAZY HOW THE WORLD SPINS AND WHERE WE END UP,ISNT IT??OK-im done--93lt thank you so much-i still havent got into it yet but theres no dang haynes or chilton book out there with that kind of pics and know how to read over be4 diven in,ive never taken any of that apart but after your pics i could do it blind folded i beleive.its all idiot covers to make the idiot go to the idiot dealers and get reamed.between you n swart i am greatly thankful if this is my fix,ALL THEM COMPONENTS are the only way for gas to get into the block and fill my dipstick to the top with gas mixed in with my oil i beleive,n i hope y`all agree,otherwise im lost again,all my know how i couldnt see any other place for gas to fill the block up but that top assembly,but you wouldnt beleive the stuff ive been told about how gas can enter the block.thanx again and ill let ya know and post my pics as i go so y`all can see my disaster(ill give you a good close up of oil/gas bubbling out the dipstick hole too)its good for a laugh.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:44 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean like lack of rings in one of the pistons and no spark plug type of stuff?

These engines aren't that difficult once you understand how they work.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Probably comments relating to the muffler bearings, canooter valve and the flux capacitor.

*EDIT* - This was meant as a joke, not to poke fun at anyones automotive knowledge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LOTS OF GAS IN MY OIL ????