1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help with this dist cap firing order, check it out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM
ninetythreevortec is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with this dist cap firing order, check it out.

https://i.imgur.com/JYdXUPM.jpg

http://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/jturcotte_263.gif

1993 Chevy S-10/tahoe Blazer V-6 4.3 Vortec
I don't have a gapper and insisted on waiting for one, but he said throw them in and see how it goes (quote "i'm pretty sure you don't have to change those").
2 plugs I simply could not remove due to placement, and one wire for the same reason. Would this cause alone the vehicle to not start?
Initially I had the firing order incorrect, tried starting it(something definitely wrong), so I took the distributor cap off to find that the plastic rotor underneath was not really seated correctly, locked that in a set position and carefully refitted the dist cap back on.
fixed plug wire order on cap to correct firing order. (165432, and 135 being on driver's side)
Truck sounds 100% better than the first time I tried starting it, but it's still not starting. I got it to backfire yesterday, some smoke that smelled like gas came from ... the air intake?
Anyway, would the plugs/gaps or wires be the reason for it not to start up like it used to? or is something else still up with dist cap

Last edited by ninetythreevortec; 03-13-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:27 AM
Starting Member
NCSurvival is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ninetythreevortec
https://i.imgur.com/JYdXUPM.jpg

http://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/jturcotte_263.gif

1993 Chevy S-10/tahoe Blazer V-6 4.3 Vortec
I don't have a gapper and insisted on waiting for one, but he said throw them in and see how it goes (quote "i'm pretty sure you don't have to change those").
2 plugs I simply could not remove due to placement, and one wire for the same reason. Would this cause alone the vehicle to not start?
Initially I had the firing order incorrect, tried starting it(something definitely wrong), so I took the distributor cap off to find that the plastic rotor underneath was not really seated correctly, locked that in a set position and carefully refitted the dist cap back on.
fixed plug wire order on cap to correct firing order. (165432, and 135 being on driver's side)
Truck sounds 100% better than the first time I tried starting it, but it's still not starting. I got it to backfire yesterday, some smoke that smelled like gas came from ... the air intake?
Anyway, would the plugs/gaps or wires be the reason for it not to start up like it used to? or is something else still up with dist cap
That would be something else, Even if the plugs in question were shot completely (No spark) the engine would still start, it would miss for sure, but start. If the timing were off, it may not start. Also, check your injector spider, and fuel pressure.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
blazatronxprime is on a distinguished road

Following this thread, mine's doing the same thing. I've checked my spider assembly though...

Old 08-30-2014, 03:05 PM

I checked the fuel pressure, and found that my pump was bad. swap the pump out and she starts. Now I'm having other issues. Did you get your problem resolved?

Old 08-31-2014, 01:45 PM
ninetythreevortec is on a distinguished road

I did figure it out. I just kept trying to find TDC and then set the distr cap rotor in between the 1 and 2 (i think). If it didn't run then I knew I was 180 off, so i would take the rotor off, spin the shaft 180, find tdc, set rotor, and i think the fourth time i did this it sounded really close so we left it.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 PM

Right on! I was dealing with the same thing, but I forgot to change the fuel filter when i replaced the pump, and was about to get a whole new distributor when i saw it in the seat. The little things man. Lol