1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help! transfer case problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 AM
aaron81182 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help! transfer case problem.

Hi everyone. i have a 84 k5 blazer with a np208 transfer case. I believe the chain has some slack, because this terrible grinding sound was coming from the case. So when i put it into 4wd, it went away because of what i was told was a load was being put on the chain. Well i was driving it untill i can afford to fix it, but today, i lost all power. the motor was revving but the truck was going no where... my friend looked underneath and he thought the drive lines werent spinning.

Im on a budget here, and am wondering the best way to tackle this problem. do you have any ideas of what might be wrong. the fluid was a little low but not much. I have two np208 transfer cases in my garage. one in the truck (broken) and another that i took out, the other was was making a clunk sound when i put it in gear. How hard is it to rebuild? or should i just take a chance on another used one? whats the best thing to do?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like you may have toasted the tranny. Check and make sure the shifter and linkage on the t-case are operating correctly. Put the tranny in nuetral and the t-case in low range, then put the tranny into drive... anything? Try all forward gears and reverse. To check and see if the t-case has "lost connection" with the tranny, put the tranny into park and make sure the t-case is in 4hi or 4lo. Try to push the truck, you should not be able to move it. Like I said... sounds more like the tranny.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
aaron81182 is on a distinguished road

my question is, why would it be the tranny? the transfer case was what was grinding, and the grinding when away when i put it in 4wd. if it were the tcase to go out, wouldnt it show the same symptoms? ie not engaging?

you were right, i can move the car in park etc. i shifted the car to drive in 2wd, 4 hi, etc, and i get nothing to engage. but when shifted from neutral to drive, i can still hear something working, just not engaging. the tranny was rebuilt and has less than 4000 miles on it.

now when i shift to park, it (sounds like the same sound that was coming from the tcase) makes a grinding sound...

Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yea, you got something broken inside the t-case. The tranny made that noise because the shaft was spinning when you shifted it back to park. Time to look for a new t-case or rebuild it.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like something is not working correctly inside the transfer case. There are quite a few resources online for rebuilding the NP208. It was a popular transfer case.