1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

new 93 s10 blazer tahoe, lots of problems need lots of help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
93 s10 justin is on a distinguished road
Default new 93 s10 blazer tahoe, lots of problems need lots of help

so i just bought a 93 s10 blazer tahoe edition 4.3l vortec, auto tranny push button 4wd with all the extras

my first and formost problem in my eys is that the 4wd works very intermitently it will almost always work on paved flat roads but it will only go into 4 low, most times it will go into 4 low on gravel flat roads but sometimes both lights come on on the switch instead of the 4 low light and when that happens the trannsfer case clicks over but i have no power to the front wheels and if i drive it like that it wont shift out of first gear, i have only been able to get it to go into 4hi twice and both times i was actually wanting it to go into 4low, when its in 4low it works fine but i dont want to go out somewhere to play and find out the 4low wont switch over i was told that i have a vacume problem and the vacume booster for the transfer case is under the battery but when i took the battery out and checked it looked like it was fairly new and everything looked fine, any help would be greatly appreciated.

second problem is my brakes lol it should probably be my first, my anti lock light is on so i took it to a mieneki and had the code read they said it was a code 68 or something like that and the abs controller was bad, everyone i have talked to said to just dissconect the controller and leave it unhooked but i would like to have it working so im not sure if i can do anything but it would be great if i could.

3rd problem is that my everdrive seems to have a problem, when i shift into overdrive and hold at a constant speed the trannsmission switches between overdrive and 3rd constantly so that it feels like its surging, i probably need a new tranny but it shifts very smoothly so im not sure if thats the problem

i have a few other various little problems, my reverse lights dont work, they flash once when i shift into reverse initialy but then they go off my rear defrost doesnt work, the rear window has a very annoying squeek,

i also want to get a tube front bumper with a winch slot, a roof rack, and maybe some other misc off road parts but i cant find any web sites that sell anything for blazers

Last edited by 93 s10 justin; 03-05-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member
tspivak is on a distinguished road

Disconect the pos battery terminal, try the 4 high again and if it works but eventually screws up agaain its almost sure to be a week shift motor.
About the best fix I have found as cleaning them up is a temparary fix and they are to much trouble to take out to be doing it more than once.
These motors get weak with time.
Sounds like you may want to hold off on that bumper just yet.
At least yours is running!
Originally Posted by 93 s10 justin
so i just bought a 93 s10 blazer tahoe edition 4.3l vortec, auto tranny push button 4wd with all the extras

my first and formost problem in my eys is that the 4wd works very intermitently it will almost always work on paved flat roads but it will only go into 4 low, most times it will go into 4 low on gravel flat roads but sometimes both lights come on on the switch instead of the 4 low light and when that happens the trannsfer case clicks over but i have no power to the front wheels and if i drive it like that it wont shift out of first gear, i have only been able to get it to go into 4hi twice and both times i was actually wanting it to go into 4low, when its in 4low it works fine but i dont want to go out somewhere to play and find out the 4low wont switch over i was told that i have a vacume problem and the vacume booster for the transfer case is under the battery but when i took the battery out and checked it looked like it was fairly new and everything looked fine, any help would be greatly appreciated.

second problem is my brakes lol it should probably be my first, my anti lock light is on so i took it to a mieneki and had the code read they said it was a code 68 or something like that and the abs controller was bad, everyone i have talked to said to just dissconect the controller and leave it unhooked but i would like to have it working so im not sure if i can do anything but it would be great if i could.

3rd problem is that my everdrive seems to have a problem, when i shift into overdrive and hold at a constant speed the trannsmission switches between overdrive and 3rd constantly so that it feels like its surging, i probably need a new tranny but it shifts very smoothly so im not sure if thats the problem

i have a few other various little problems, my reverse lights dont work, they flash once when i shift into reverse initialy but then they go off my rear defrost doesnt work, the rear window has a very annoying squeek,

i also want to get a tube front bumper with a winch slot, a roof rack, and maybe some other misc off road parts but i cant find any web sites that sell anything for blazers

Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I dont drive my truck in overdrive unless Im going over 65mph or 100kmph cause it jumps back and forth between 3rd and OD... OD is a highway gear, not for cruising around in. Thats why you should put it in 3 for cruising in town.

As for the reverse lights, do they come back on when you wiggle your shifter around? try adjustin the linkage if they work when you jiggle it around. cable may have just stretched over time.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:26 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohsofly
I dont drive my truck in overdrive unless Im going over 65mph or 100kmph cause it jumps back and forth between 3rd and OD... OD is a highway gear, not for cruising around in. Thats why you should put it in 3 for cruising in town.

As for the reverse lights, do they come back on when you wiggle your shifter around? try adjustin the linkage if they work when you jiggle it around. cable may have just stretched over time.
ohsofly nailed it regarding the OD constantly shifting issue. since you never mentioned @ what speed this happens, i'm going the same route as him, since i drive my '98 the same way he described. hell, i drive my '95 Regal in 2nd gear around town, and don't even use OD on the highways-the damn car just flies so easily. only on long road trips do i use OD with the cruise.

regarding your reverse lights, it's all in the linkage (no cable on these trucks ohsofly). the nylon bushing on the frame (holds the shift linkage bar coming off the side of the trans) is probably shot/worn out. you can get one @ your local parts place (@ least the Canadian Tire's up here carry them) or hit your dealer for it. when you adjust the linkage, do it while in reverse (with the reverse lights on) this way they'll come on each and every time (might need slight tweaking the first few times you shift).

and welcome to the wonderful world of the "1st gen rear window turkey squeek" (@ least mine sounded like a freakin' turkey!). a simple quick fix is to wrap some electrical tape around the "hoop" on the window. it'll last anywhere from 3 or 4 months, up to a year.......it all depends on how much you use your rear window.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM

ok so i fixed the reverse lights and the turkey squeek lol but i am still concerned about the 4wd, i didnt mention in my previos post but every time i push the button the lights flash and i can hear it clicking and shifting in the transfer case but when it stops flashing and both lights are lit or both go out and it wont go into 4wd i can hear it click back out of gear in the transfer case, and sometimes the lights will flash and go out but the transfer case is still in 4low but no power to the front wheels so i hit the button again and the lights flash and go out and im out but a few times i have been stuck in 4wd and when i hit the button the lights dont flash and nothing happens, and the surging in the transmission does it at all speeds, i dont use over drive unless i am doing over 60 but it will do it at 60 or at 80 but it only does it when the gas is at a certain point, a little over halfway to the floor

Last edited by 93 s10 justin; 03-05-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:05 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i dont use over drive unless i am doing over 60 but it will do it at 60 or at 80 but it only does it when the gas is at a certain point, a little over halfway to the floor

your truck is a '93 right? sounds like your TV cable needs adjusting.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
your truck is a '93 right? sounds like your TV cable needs adjusting.
what is the TV cable?