1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

New To Fourm and Need Some Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 PM
laurstevechar721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New To Fourm and Need Some Help Please

Hey Everyone..

My Husband Owns A 1993 S-10 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with 4.3 CPI Vortec Engine.

We Recently Moved From Vegas Nevada To Aloha Oregon And The Anti Freeze Started To Leak Really Badly From Underneath The Truck. We Just Recently Bought A New Heater Core, Thinking That Was The Problem But Now The Truck Is Still Leaking Anti Freeze From Under The Truck...We Dont Know If It Is A HeadGasket Blowing, A Freeze Plug Or Something Else. There Is No Water Getting Into The Oil, But There Is Water Like Practically Pouring Out Of The Exhaust, But Its Clear Water, Not Greenish Like Antifreeze. So If Anyone Could Help Us Figure This Out...It Would Be Much Appreciated. Thank You!

Lauren

Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New To Fourm and Need Some Help Please

Pouring out from under the truck or pouring out of the tail pipe? How much are we actually talking here? Can you be more descriptive of where it is coming from?

Have you replaced the thermostat and radiator cap? Is the radiator full? Living where you lived, is there actually coolant in the cooling system or is it straight water?

Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Ill explain it better, my wife posted before, heres whats happening, water is leaking SOMEWHERE on top on the motor between the value and cyl head and the intake manifold and its leaking down the front of the engine, so im thinking that the intake gasket blew out. I checked the oil and its not milky and there really isnt any sign of a blown head gasket however head gaskets have many diffrent ways of showing but ive never seen one blow this way where the coolent is leaking at the engine.
Also the truck is running and idling rough now so in that case im now guessing the blwon intake gasket is leaking into the intake causing the rough idle.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is very possible that the intake manifold gasket has blown, allowing coolant to be pulled into the combustion chamber. These gaskets like to blow out in new and interesting ways every time, it seems...

Can you see it running down the front of the block? How fast are you losing coolant?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:15 PM

yeah its leaking on the driver side front part of engine and its leaking pretty good, the reason i kinda knew it was the intake gasket is because the leak was coming from between the value cover and intake. How hard would it be to change this intake gasket is it hard or easy i would know how to change it if it was a TB however ive never played with CPI intakes so is it impossible???lol

Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

It is just a little more involved with the CPI motor. You have to first remove the upper plenum, disconnect the fuel lines, remove the distributor, then you can remove the lower intake. There is more to it than that, but if you know how to do the job on the older TBI motors, then you should not have any real problems with the CPI motor.

Get the good gaskets with the metal frames though. You will not have the problem again with the updated gaskets.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 PM

thanks for the help everyone, hopefully I can have this fixed my the end of the week I miss my blazer

Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM

hi back again, im gonna try and do this on my own however what gaskets do I need other then the intake gasket, do I need the Intake Plenum Gasket.
And the only brand I see is from Felpro for both. And can someone maybe if you have spare time just likewrite me out a quick guide for removal and installment Please please I dont wanna spend 450 at a shop for this job because I know its not worth paying that much out fora job like this

Old 11-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

For something like this, the Haynes or Chiltons manuals do a fairly good job explaining what to do. For the $20 investment, it would be good to have. There is a very good how-to for the newer SCFI motor, however there are quite a few differences.

As far as the gaskets are concerned, you will need both. You will be removing the upper plenum to get to the bolts which hold down the lower intake.

Looking at what is offered, Felpro will do fine. The gaskets offered for your motor are fiber so they do not have the problems that the newer over molded plastic gaskets did (which is what was fixed by the over molded metal gaskets).

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, I got the how-to right from the autozone web site, and I did have a haynes manual however I just moved and I guess I left it back in las vegas oh well, but anyways after reviewing the how-to this job is farely easy and is not that hard of a job after all ill be starting this tomorrow and ill post my success after its done, (I hope)