1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

New guy with new toy

Old 10-28-2015, 07:09 AM
HunterDan is on a distinguished road
Default New guy with new toy

I just picked up a 94 2dr K1500. It's in nice shape but I have a question for anyone with a possible answer.

The previous owner told me that he removed the smog pump. He claims that is why it has no cruise control. The service engine soon light flashed for 20 seconds when I was driving it home but went out the rest of the way home. When test driving it drove fine and the motor was very smooth and strong so I had no worries. He of course never mentioned the light.

I called as soon as I got home and he said "I thought I told you about the service light..." Of course he didn't but anyway...He claimed that the light was because of removing the smog pump which also affected the cruise. Does that sound possible guys/gals?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

kinda curious as to what the code its throwing for removing the smog pump. pretty sure it has no electrical going to it. also dont see why that would effect the cruise control

Old 10-28-2015, 05:56 PM

I took it to snappy lube today and changed the diff's fluid, greased all the zerks and changed the oil/filter. While there I fiddled around with the cruise wiring and wala! it now has cruise control. As far as the smog pump...it looks like and a few others agree it never had a smog pump. I dunno. It does have a cat so I figured it would also have a smog and air pump or that's what I thought I read here somewhere. Also I thought the smog pump would be under the AC compressor. The AC looks stock and the bracket does not accommodate a smog pump. Nuts and bolts have no marks at all...

I did not think the cruise had anything to do with a smog pump but I don't know all so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. That was stupid for me to do. I guess I figured Hmmm a nice local fella with a patrol car and a Sherrifs uniform ought to be honest.

So far today I have found out that it has an intake leak, radiator needs replacing, check engine light comes on occasionally and today sitting at a light it was running real nice at idle and then suddenly stammered and almost shut off. It ran fine after that but what in the world did that?

I'll be checking for codes tomorrow

Old 10-28-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by abig84
kinda curious as to what the code its throwing for removing the smog pump. pretty sure it has no electrical going to it. also dont see why that would effect the cruise control
Just did the paper clip code test and got code 32 for the EGR valve. Could that cause the stumbling at idle and is the code check somewhat accurate? I do have a light exhaust manifold leak or pop at accelerating. Could that throw the egr code?

Thanks, Dan

Old 10-29-2015, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

The EGR valve could cause that, Take it off and clean it really well and see if the problem continues. (you will need a new gasket, but its cheap)

Old 10-30-2015, 07:13 AM

Thanks...I took a look at the egr yesterday and noticed there is no vacuum line from the solenoid to the port of the EGR. Also the EGR has white stuff/maybe oxidation? in the stem.I may try cleaning the egr port but I'm probably going to pick up a new Delphi EGR and see what happens.
I'll update after the egr and code clearing...

Old 10-31-2015, 12:27 PM

I went to autozone,napa and oreillys looking for a Delphi egr valve to no avail. I decided against better judgment to get the borg warner version from oreillys but when installed it was worse than the factory one. It stumbled badly when accelerating. I took it back and got the duralast egr valve. It felt and looked much better than the borg warner... I installed it and now the blazer runs smooth at idle and when under a load with no service engine light. I guess that's another example of a bad borg warner egr valve. I'm not sure if the duralast that fixed mine is always as good as this one but it's nearly half the price of the Delphi, it works and I don't have to wait a week.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:05 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You should have just tried to clean yours really well and you could have saved some money. Often times they do not need to be replaced and just cleaned really well.

Mine did the same thing, took it off and cleaned it and have not had a problem since.
But glad you got it working again!

Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 PM

Mine was caked up with oxidation. The stem was completely shut and the diaphragm would not work even after cleaning the stem. It was the original 94 egr valve so I replaced it as cheaply as I could. Thanks for the advice though.