1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

No A/C and Engine running hot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No A/C and Engine running hot.

I have a few problems here. I just installed my CB, that went great and no issues there. Now I've been avoiding a few issues, one major and one minor. I've discovered that I have no A/C. I'm not sure what the cause of that is but I have found a four-valve connector that is near the back of the engine bay and close the distributor cap that is sucking in air. Not sure if that is what it is supposed to do though. The connector basically goes like this:

Top left: Hose coming from vacuum ball (Big black and plastic ball).
Top right: Running down to an aluminum or steel canister, looks like it may be a compressor.
Bottom left: Small black hose with a screw in it (Wtf?!)
Bottom right: No hose, sucking in air.

Here is a picture for better info:

Any ideas on how that is supposed to go?

And now I have the issue of my engine overheating and sucking coolant like a fiend. If I add a full gallon of coolant it'll run fine for about a month and it'll run hot again. I think it may be a leak, I've added some Bars Stop Leak to it, no help whatsoever. But it seems if I turn the heater on it pulls heat away from the engine and towards the cabin. Thinking about a flush and I read a post somewhere that states I should buy new hoses, gaskets, thermostat and some other parts. The truck itself is getting close to 200K and it still runs (:P).

Anyone have any ideas for these two issues?

And anyone care to guide me in a 200K tune-up?

EDIT: Added picture

Old 08-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: No A/C and Engine running hot.

As far as the vacuum leak, look for another hose that is just dangling. For the time being, block off the leak with a short section of hose and another screw as already done on the other side.

Now for the major problem as I see it. You need to find that leak! It is possible that all of this is caused by a weak or bad radiator cap. The first thing I would recommend is a full system flush, flushing the engine block, radiator and heater core. Replace the thermostat and the radiator cap while you are performing the flush. See how that goes. If it fixes the problem, good. If not, you have some more work ahead of you.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

As far as the vacuum leak, look for another hose that is just dangling. For the time being, block off the leak with a short section of hose and another screw as already done on the other side.

Now for the major problem as I see it. You need to find that leak! It is possible that all of this is caused by a weak or bad radiator cap. The first thing I would recommend is a full system flush, flushing the engine block, radiator and heater core. Replace the thermostat and the radiator cap while you are performing the flush. See how that goes. If it fixes the problem, good. If not, you have some more work ahead of you.

Okay. I do notice that there is a hose dangling. Let me go give that a shot and see if anything blows...

5 Minutes Later: Hey! I have A/C now!!! Thanks dude. > [img=http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/9929/pic0064yi5.th.jpg]

Okay, now can recommend a way to flush the system for a first gen?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing special about a 1st gen. Run a search and I'm sure that you will find more than enough information to walk you through the flush procedure.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Starting Member

Okay man, I've found a thread: https://blazerforum.com/fb.asp?m=5940

And it looks like you will recommend his words of advice. I'll put that on my list of things to do.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator

That thread is a bit old, but the procedure is good. There are better materials available now. As well as better coolants. Search around some more if you'd like. Like I said, the procedure is good in that thread.