1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

no injector pulse

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 PM
cwh94 is on a distinguished road
Default no injector pulse

ok i have a 94 s-10 blazer 4.3 vin w. my problem is no injector pulse. it does have power to it but the computer is not grounding it. motor does have spark and 55 psi fuel pressure. will run if i give it a spray of starting fluid then dies as soon as its used up. my question is what tells the computer to ground it. i'm thinking the ign. control module?????? i am a undercar,suspension tech thats is learning about fuel injection the hard way.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
Corrupt is on a distinguished road

Little bit of information I found on the web that has to do with "no injector pulse". Thought it might be useful. But check your fuel pump for starters.

It is always a little on the nerving side when it gets down to a possible computer. After all, once the replacement is plugged in you own it whether or not it fixed the problem. To add to the fun, you not only buy a computer, you have to get it programmed for that vehicle and once that’s done you own it whether or not you plug the computer in. Be sure that there are no trouble codes or pending codes in the computer. If there are you need to check their possible relationship to the no start condition. Check the power supplies (fuses) and the grounds for the computer. More than one fuse is used to power the computer and a bad ground will cause the computer to go nutty. Is there a security tell tail light on the instrument panel? If there is and the light is on, the computer may be commanding a no start condition. If it is activated, the computer will only provide brief injector pulses. The engine may act for a moment like it wants to start but injector pulse will be lost or become erratic. The scan tool has a menu to view antitheft operation. Also, watch out for aftermarket alarm systems. They’ve turned out to be a big pain in the backside for causing misleading diagnosis. With the weird stuff out of the way, you have to start with the basics. For the computer to operate correctly it needs good information. Check the crankshaft position sensor for a clean and steady signal. The computer uses this information to locate crankshaft position and speed of rotation to provide spark and fuel delivery. During cranking you should see ignition spark and injection pulse in phase with each other. If the spark is erratic you need to look closely at the crankshaft position sensor. If the spark is clean and matching engine rpm but the injectors are not then check the signal from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). A failing TPS can trigger the computer’s program to activate what is called the clear flood mode. This command is activated if the TPS voltage is high. The computer in response will reduce injector pulses or even turn them off while cranking the engine. There are 2 other critical inputs that the computer needs and that is the coolant temperature and load sensor information. Both of these can be checked with a scan tool while checking TPS values. When diagnosing a possible computer failure you have to confirm that the computer is receiving “all” the information it needs to operate (good inputs). If the in going information is good, but what is coming out is bad you could be looking at a replacement computer.

Last edited by Corrupt; 10-22-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by testing the wiring under the plenum with a noid light. It is very difficult to test with a multimeter looking for the ground pulse to the injector. A noid light is the preferred method of determining if there is a problem with the signal to the injector.

There has been some issues noted in the past with the wiring to the injector that is internal to the plenum. A few members have had to replace this section of wiring with new to correct this very issue.