1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 PM
89ChevyBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default No Start Issue

I have a 1989 Chevy Blazer 2wd Auto with a 4.3L tbi setup. The engine will crank but WILL NOT start. I have replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and ignition coil. The battery is fully charged, as well. I have spark and fuel when keyed, but just wont start. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:03 PM
webstyles is on a distinguished road

I'm just guessing, but an obstruction in the exhaust system could cause those symptoms.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Have you checked for spark? Can be as easy as grounding an old spark plug on something metal while another person cranks the ignition.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member
billytruss is on a distinguished road

Was it running before you replaced/tuned it up?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default Spark Tester

Originally Posted by bigkhans
Have you checked for spark? Can be as easy as grounding an old spark plug on something metal while another person cranks the ignition.

It's also pretty easy to see if you're getting spark by having a not so great friend [called a spark tester] hold a screw driver inside the plug wire. If he hollers then you're getting spark. If he just yelps a little you're getting spark but it's weak. If he screams and begins to curse at you then you've got a good strong spark.

In all seriousness I picked up an inexpensive spark tester which clips between the plug and plug wire which is pretty handy. You can not only tell by how the light looks whether you're getting spark but whether it's strong or weak.

Not as much fun as having a guy hold the screw driver but probably more efficient.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 89ChevyBlazer
I have a 1989 Chevy Blazer 2wd Auto with a 4.3L tbi setup. The engine will crank but WILL NOT start. I have replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and ignition coil. The battery is fully charged, as well. I have spark and fuel when keyed, but just wont start. Any help will be appreciated.

I'm not sure if those have them but on my old 77-79 T-Birds there is a pick-up coil inside the distributor. You might check to see if the 89 has one. If so that could be the problem.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Not sure why everyone keeps telling you to check for spark when you specifically say 'I have spark and fuel'.

Could be a timing problem, if fuel and spark don't get there at the correct time, nothing (or weird things) happens. I'm assuming your info is correct, and that you have both spark and fuel in the cylinders, although since your post you have not commented again, I'm not sure if you've resolved the issue yet.

Do you feel there's combustion while turning the key (even if car dies right after you let go of key), or no combustion at all, in any circumstance?
Also, maybe have a look inside your throttle body, maybe it's dirty and sticking.

Has it been sitting for a long while?

billytruss had a pertinent question, although I'm guessing the answer is no, and that's why you decided to change the spark plugs in the first place (?).

So the real question here is, when did it last run, and what happened just before it died?

I'm from Europe, so these cars are extremely rare here, but it just so happens that I have one in my garden to fix (some friends left it here for me to play with). It's also a 1991 4.3L Tbi. I'm only just learning about this car, and it seems impossible to get a free service manual for it... All other cars I've had to fix, in less than 5 minutes online I found the manual, but this one seems to e a very closely guarded secret, so I'm relying on its of information I manage to gather online. (if anyone has a nice pdf they don't mind sharing, I would be eternally grateful)

Hope this helps

Old 03-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Beginning Member
billytruss is on a distinguished road

@ 89ChevyBlazer - you indicated fuel, does that mean fuel in the tank or your getting fuel to the injectors?
@ webstyles - I use "Mitchell1 DIY" which carries the manufacture manuals which I print the information from. there is annual cost by car type, I pay $40 for 3 year use.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM

@ billytruss - thanks for the answer. Not really worth it for me, since this is not my car, and once I'm done fixing it, I will no longer need the manual.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:10 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Hmm - just the silly one:

correct order on the spark wires?

Quick Reply: No Start Issue