1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Cooler

I always noticed that on the one side of my filter bracket it says to Oil Cooler.

What trucks came with these Oil coolers so that I could keep an eye out in the junk yard for one?

Are they hard to install and mount? Please give me as much info as possible on this little upgrade, any pics or diagrams would be helpful.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On the 2nd gens, the oil cooler is in the driver side radiator tank.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM

So for the first Gens, there isnt an actual Oil Cooler? So why would it say To Oil Cooler, and there not be one made?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

With my experience being around these trucks, the models equipped with an oil cooling system have the oil cooler integrated into the driver side radiator tank (same as 2nd gens but 1st and 2nd gen radiators are not interchangeable IIRC).
As far I as can say, if I'm interpreting your post right, your truck should have the oil cooling system. Is the bracket you speak of mounted on the inner driver side fender? If so then there should be 4 aluminum tubes leading into the filter bracket (2 tubes on each side). I could be wrong about this however.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You're not wrong. If the bracket has two lines running foeward thatey're the oil cooler lines (inside the radiator tank) as advertised. The water temp is actually lower than the oil temp so it does work.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Gimpy and Fondo, your right, on my oil bracket the side with Oil Cooler is blocked off with a Factory looking "cap".

So IF I wanted to use the oil cooling feature in my truck, then all I would have to do, would be to find a truck with it and just remove the hard lines from the radiator to the oil bracket and thats it. So I'm just missing some hoses or hard lines?

My Radiator should have these hook up points already there right, or would I need a different radiator?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Originally Posted by 94BlazerPA
Gimpy and Fondo, your right, on my oil bracket the side with Oil Cooler is blocked off with a Factory looking "cap".

So IF I wanted to use the oil cooling feature in my truck, then all I would have to do, would be to find a truck with it and just remove the hard lines from the radiator to the oil bracket and thats it. So I'm just missing some hoses or hard lines?

My Radiator should have these hook up points already there right, or would I need a different radiator?
It may be that easy but you need to find out why the oil cooling system was disabled to begin with. My focus would be on the radiator itself, maybe the oil cooler tank inside the radiator failed allowing oil and antifreeze to mix so the cooler was bypassed. Just a thought...

As for the oil lines, they are a combination of rubber hose and aluminum tubing crimped together. As far as I'm aware (and I've checked) these lines are not available in the aftermarket (at least not for the 1st gens). You might check with your dealer about 'em. Honestly I recommend you have some custom made or make some yourself. I don't suggest swapping in a used set from the junk yard or what have you as they'll most likely be leaky. Just keep in mind that you might need an old set on hand if you decide to make your own or have some made (so you still have an excuse to go to the junkyard). Search around here and on the rest of the web for a write up on how to do this, I know they're out there.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM

I dont think mine was dis-abled. It looks factory capped, like that feature or option wasnt available or opted for on my truck. But it looks as though if I just found some lines and unbolted the cap I would be able to just hook them up and go, fingers crossed. I was planning a trip to the local U-pull it either tomorrow of friday after work, so I'll let you guys know. I'll practice on some junk trucks before I mess with mine.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Beginning Member
rocknroadie is on a distinguished road

It is factory capped. The oil cooler was only installed in the GMC Syclone and GMC Typhoon AFAIK. That said, there are a ton of aftermarket radiators for the Blazer with the necessary hookups, if you really feel the need for one.

Last edited by rocknroadie; 08-06-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

Yep 100% right^^^^^ i know because i look at it every day on my typhoon. You can run an oil cooler but why?? Typhoons only use them for the increased heat du to the turbo. My 92 s-10 has been just fine with the cooler line to the fender and back to the block it entire life. I would see no aided benifet in putting oil coolers lines on a truck that really has no need for them..... but hey i it makes ya happy go nuts

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler