1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

oil filter hoses leaking

Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
clicheche is on a distinguished road
Default oil filter hoses leaking

not sure the technical name for the oil filter housing unit that has the 2 hydrolic sealed inlet/outlet hoses coming out of it. but one is leaking, quite consistently.

short form, do i have to disconnect from engine? and then replace part with new one? where does one find this part? the dealer? napa?

thanks guys. its been a while, this site has been invaluable. going to be visiting for a while again. some work need be done.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I just ordered a set of the AC Delco OEM ones for the new engine for my Jimmy as required by the warranty agreement from Marshall Engines. Got them from RockAuto.com

Part # 15194579 is the one from the engine to the filter block $63.79
Part # 15194578 is the one from the filter block to the cooler in the radiator $62.79

I would trust the AC Delco's more before the Dorman's or Cardone's that are also out there. They're a little more expensive but if they last as many miles as they do for most trucks I think it's worth it.

EDIT: Crap I just noticed this is in the section for first gen trucks. Not sure of the part numbers for those years but I'd say they can be found easily enough. I'll look and see what I can find.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 07-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

You could make your own hoses, also, and save a ton of money. Cut the old lines off the fittings, and replace with high pressure rubber hose from the auto parts store. I went cheap and used hose clamps to hold the lines on, but you can go to a hydraulic shop and get better clamps. Replace the gaskets with parts from the dealer ($5). I had bad luck with the o ring set you get at auto zone, but others on here have used them, and they work great, so YMMV.

I've got probably 7-8k miles on my homemade lines, and they haven't leaked a drop.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM
clicheche is on a distinguished road

thanks so much for the help folks.

as i'm apt to be cheap, (and the truck has an absurd number of kilometers on it) in a few quick words, where does one cut the lines? and or attach the new hoses? directly to the engine? what about connecting them to the filter housing?
thanks!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member
TheRemedy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a set myself, it isn't the easiest to disconnect from under the car. I've heard of some people having to lift out the engine. I can get close with an extender on a ratchet, but couldn't get a snug fit. I picked up a rotate coupling, but haven't tried that yet. Let me know if you have any success getting it off.

Also, I'm working with a 4.3 w/ 4WD, there may be more room in other models.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by clicheche
thanks so much for the help folks.

as i'm apt to be cheap, (and the truck has an absurd number of kilometers on it) in a few quick words, where does one cut the lines? and or attach the new hoses? directly to the engine? what about connecting them to the filter housing?
thanks!
If you're talking about making your own lines, it's easy. I used a hack saw blade, but if you're careful, a dremel would work. Just cut into the metal clamp around the end of the rubber line, where it goes to the fittings. Be careful and go slow, you don't want to cut into the ends, you will be re-using them. Once you get the clamp cut through, pry it off, and pull the end out of the rubber hose. Cut your new high pressure line to the right length, hose clamp it to the fittings, and you're good to go.

There is a really good thread about it, either here or on one of the S-10 sites. I'll see if I can find it.

You might as well make your own. A new set is $60+, and everything I've heard about them is that they will leak again right after the warranty is over.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I just completely deleted mine... Filter back on the block.. Win.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Here's the link for the S10forum.com thread about rebuilding the lines:

Repair your leaky oil cooler lines!! - S-SeriesForum.com

One caveat: I tried doing this and got the 1/2" hose from NAPA but when I took the hoses off I discovered that 1/2" was too large for my aluminum lines. Something like 7/16" would work much better.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
BF Veteran

^ That's the exact thread! 1/2" is a little too big, but I doubled up my hose clamps, and it never has leaked, yet. Not sure if it would with just one; I had two from the get-go.

7/16" would be ideal, though.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cleburne red
^ That's the exact thread! 1/2" is a little too big, but I doubled up my hose clamps, and it never has leaked, yet. Not sure if it would with just one; I had two from the get-go.

7/16" would be ideal, though.
Because it was getting late and I needed to get back on the road the next day I just took the easy way out and went up to AutoZone and got the Dorman replacement lines. However, I've saved the lines I took off my Jimmy and will probably rebuild them with the 1/2" hose and use those on my wife's 2000 Blazer because—SURPRISE!—the oil lines are leaking! I'm really glad to know that you used the 1/2" hose successfully. That gives me confidence doing that job for my wife's rig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil filter hoses leaking