1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Please help me diagnose my Blazer!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road
Default Please help me diagnose my Blazer!

Video, to start. I show the oil, I show my Coolant Temp SWITCH not Sensor, and I run the engine, to show its surging/rough idle (due to the CTS?)

Here is that video, let's go from here.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

leaky fuel pressure regulator, check fuel pressure

Old 11-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, Black out of the tailpipe is rich fuel mixture, could also be causing the surge. Check fuel pressure and leakdown. Fuel pressure while pump is running, engine off, and leakdown pressure 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Could be a leaky fuel pressure regulator, leaky poppet nozzle, leaky injector, or leaky nut kit, (lines inside the plenum). Pressure and leakdown test results will tell if there's a leak, it will not tell what or where the leak is, only that a leak exists. Post the results.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 PM

Bad news.. Got:

- New plugs
- New Dist. Cap
- New Dist. Rotor
New WATER PUMP
New FAN CLUTCH
New ANTIFREEZE (!!)

........... and the smoke that comes out of it is so thick that we can't see the road. Grey/billowing. "The engine is still out of time" BUT:

1. If I take the engine cap off, I am sure I will see it wet.
2. I will soon check if the engine is full-blown milkshake.

Head gasket??????????

Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Head gasket problems are not common on 4.3's unless you cook 'em. You can check the coolant for hydrocarbons, and if present, a head gasket is leaking. You can also pressurize each cylinder with compressed air and watch for bubbles in the radiator. Leaky intake gaskets are not real common on 95 and older "W" engines, but not unheard of. If they leak, you end up with a milkshake in the crankcase, and the oil level will rise, which your dipstick indicates both. If you're getting a blueish color cloud from the tailpipe, that would indicate oil. White steam would indicate coolant, and possibly a blown head gasket.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Head gasket problems are not common on 4.3's unless you cook 'em. You can check the coolant for hydrocarbons, and if present, a head gasket is leaking. You can also pressurize each cylinder with compressed air and watch for bubbles in the radiator. Leaky intake gaskets are not real common on 95 and older "W" engines, but not unheard of. If they leak, you end up with a milkshake in the crankcase, and the oil level will rise, which your dipstick indicates both. If you're getting a blueish color cloud from the tailpipe, that would indicate oil. White steam would indicate coolant, and possibly a blown head gasket.
Yeah, this one got very well cooked the last time I had to drive it and it "ran right".. This one just got its full tune-up, AND transmission pan dropped and new fluid put in.

I can maybe video it after work today, but the smoke is sooo bad.. you can't see the road behind me.

I will also get to check my dipstick and oil cap today, also radiator cap.. the oil cap is usually wet, but it's been so humid and moist lately that I am unsure. I have seen milkshake oil in a car I used to have, I know it's obvious if it is that.

I think the new water pump and brand new 50/50 antifreeze/water pressurized it enough that it is just billowing smoke/steam now.. it takes a second, but after about 30 seconds (MAYBE,) you have trouble seeing the road behind me.

I'll try to video it later.. and I still fee my timing is off, because of the way it starts.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Sure looks like coolant to me. Head gasket or cracked head would be my guess.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Quick Reply: Please help me diagnose my Blazer!