1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

pulling my hair out... well whats left of it

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Starting Member
Skitzoape is on a distinguished road
Default pulling my hair out... well whats left of it

My 92 S10 Blazer 4.3 CPI wants to stall out once warmed up and at idle. runs good while driving but once it gets warmed up and you come to a red light, stop sign or parking spot it acts like it wants to die then surges to keep running or itll just die. ive replaced cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. i also fixed a few unhooked vacuum lines (which my friend said could be causing it). i got fed up trying to trouble shoot it and took it to a good shop near my house and they did the fuel pressure/leakdown test, truck has good pressure, hooked it up to their diagnostics computer and tells them its running great. the mechanic said it could be the distributor and replaced it to only find out it still does the stalling/surging. im running out of patience and money. the mechanic said it could be the ECM. i think it if the weathers nice this weekend or i can borrow my buddys garage im going to replace the TPS and clean up the IAC and EGR. Any suggestions? What can i use to clean the IAC and EGR without destroying it? if i cant get this fixed its getting sold and can be someone elses problem..

Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM
CGTech is on a distinguished road

Did you try cleaning the EGR valve?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Starting Member

thats one thing i havent done yet, is it hard to get out and back in? what should i use to clean it?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

easy job, 1/2 tops. do a search oops just noticed it was a 92

Last edited by newguy; 02-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

to pull the EGR valve, you gotta take the intake plenum off to gain access to it.
its not too hard of a job.

Just use carb cleaner, and get the new flepro gasket with the screen.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Starting Member

so i take it i should buy a new plenum gasket as well as a new egr gasket?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Starting Member

is there a way to do it without taking the plenum off?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Starting Member

well i took the EGR off and it was pretty funky, all sorts of blackness. also the plunger at the top with the torx shape in it was really hard to push back in, so i doused it all and used a small wire brush to clean it. so far so good, it seems to run smoother and after letting it just sit there and run then driving for about 5 miles it didnt bog down and act like it was going to die. but im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping after i drive the 20 miles to work tomorrow it still runs like it does now. ill keep you guys updated. thanks for the help its been really appreciated and helpful.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear, I hope that fixed your problem.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Starting Member

Update: Runs better, doesnt want to die but at idle it spits and sputters. Gas mileage is still sucking too. goin to try and clean or replace the IAC this weekend. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: pulling my hair out... well whats left of it