1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

need lots of help ..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Beginning Member
pink63impala is on a distinguished road

lets start with the fuel.
buddy of mine brought me his blazer its late 80s box style.ill look for certain in the am..
motor went bad,he swapped in a i believe a 94ish engine with i guess tuned port? has intake with the runners on it throttle body in the front. he said he swapped all the harness and ecu and fuel lines ..
now problems.. #1 its not staring. seems as if its not gettig fuel. he said it fired with a squirt of either ..
im not hearing a pump run with the key on. theres 2 wires running to the pump in the rear,a brown and pinkish wire. the pinkish wire reads just under 9 volts with the key on.not sure if teh brown has voltage or where it leads.
is there a way to jump the fuel pump or straight wire it just so i can get it running? and it the pinkish wire the right wire to try and tap 12volts into it? and what kind of fuel pressure does this set up run?
im trying t get one thing going at a time..i know theres gonna be more problems..
the truck is turning overs and has spark,seems lil week though

also both engines are 4.3

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-17-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have to provide a lot more detailed information about the vehicles in question...

One thing that is glaringly obvious is that if the truck is an early first gen (pre-92), then it would have originally come with a TBI engine with fuel pressure requirements of 8-12psi. If someone swapped in a CPI engine, the fuel pressure is required to be 55-60psi key-on/engine-off for it to start. If nothing was done to upgrade the fuel system, you don't have a prayer. And it is going to be a royal pain to get things up to snuff in the fuel system.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Beginning Member

the truck is a 88, teh engine is a 94.the fuel pump and lines are that off of the swapped over engine.i ran a temp wire to the pump and got it to turn on. im gettting fuel to the mainfold not sure on the pressure ,i dont have a gauge at the moment,i do know its getting there,but seems as if its not going thru the intake?
i can spray some starting fluid in the intake and the engine will fire up for a second. looks as if the wiring harness was changed over also,dont know if everything is hooked up right though.looks like the old ecm is still there?
this is going to be a nightmare~
looks like a plug is missing where the yellow x is

any more help is apreciated

Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have fun for sure. I suggest getting a factory service manual for both vehicles. Either that or rip that motor out and install the proper TBI motor.

That CPI engine will not have the proper brackets, etc for your transmission (700R4) because it came with a 4L60E. The ECU from the 94 will not like the rest of your truck either. It will complain about not seeing the transmission amongst other things.

If the original ECU is still in there, it likely is not able to fire the injector (one single injector). The TBI motor had two injectors.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Beginning Member

any way to bypass it to get th truck to run?without putting a carb on it

Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

T answer your question about bypassing the fuel wiring, my 94 has a connector that comes out of the wiring harness in the vicinity of the junction block on the right side of the firewall. I can't see if yours does or not. It will be a single wire with a female cinnector. This is the "Fuel Pump Prime Connector" and is not fused. It's a gray wire. If you use this to start the motor you need to put a jumper wire from the battery with an in-line fuse in it. This wire is supposed to be for test purposes only not to drive the truck around on. The book says 15 amp. This is real important. Hope this helps you out.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 AM
Beginning Member

can you get a pic of the wire and a location for me?
im still gonna need to find a way to fire the injector

Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Can't get you a picture. Your wire is Tan/Wht (tan with a white stripe) and I don't know where it's located on your project but on my 94 Blazer, it comes out of the same wire loom as the wires to the junction block on the firewall adjacent to the A/C evaporator housing. It will be the only wire that isn't connected to anything and has a single female connector. I use a blade terminal on the end of my FUSED jumper wire and run it straight off the battery. It'll run the pump all day if you want it to. What kind of engine came out of this? 4.3s were an option that year although I think they were TBI units. As for getting factory books on these engines (vehicles) here is the website you can order them from. I bought all three manuals for mine although the Unit Repaor Manual is a lixury noy a necessity.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...J7586RVDTU32PE
This isn't the Home page but have a look around.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 01-18-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Beginning Member

thanks ill look for the wire. both engines are 4.3
if someone can piont me in the direction as to were to find the plug in that runs to the injector. i wanna find out if the ecu is firing the injector,if i can do it with out taking the top plenum off to get to the injector

Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator

It runs through the front of the intake down behind the alternator as shown in your picture.

Quick Reply: need lots of help ..