1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rebuilding the Digital Instrument Cluster Dash Gauge Pod

Old 04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member
jakegaisser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebuilding the Digital Instrument Cluster Dash Gauge Pod

My digital dash, the only thing that works is the speedometer, the trip/odometer works after about a minute but it shows "error" when you first start the vehicle.

So the Fuel, Battery, Temp, Oil pressure, and Tachometer are out, I cannot remember if the other lights were working or not, like the check engine, etc.

Well, I did some searching on the forums, and I really didnt find any topics on the matter at all. A USED replacement digital dash costs over $100. So before buying one I decided I would pull mine apart to see if I can figure out the problem.

The Blue board actually appears to be fine to me, I cant find anything that looks visually bad.

One the Green board I found a couple of spots that are corroded. I am going to clean up the one on the front side with a wire brush.

Going to clean this with a wire brush.

This one I am going to clean with a wire brush, and then I am going to put some fresh solder on, because it actually looks like its separated from the PCB some of the way if not all the way.

I am not sure if the two corroded parts are actually what is causing this dash to work incorrectly, I will post results after fixing it up.

I have repaired computer motherboards, power supplies, and LCD monitors that stopped working in the past, just by opening them up and visually inspecting them for a bad part, like a bulging or leaking capacitor. Most of the time when an electronic fails that has capacitors, that is the cause and it can be easily fixed.

Well, I got this dash apart, and I have already found some corrosion that I am going to take a small wire brush to and clean off. I am not visually seeing any damage to any capacitors though.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any experience testing and rebuilding these? The circuit does not seem to horribly complicated, and I own a digital multimeter. I am just not sure how to go about testing each individual component on the PCB, but I have read that with electronics you can usually go over an entire circuit with a multimeter and figure out what went bad.

Last edited by jakegaisser; 04-21-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member

I cleaned up those solder points and touched them up and cleaned off the corrosion but it still does not work.

The speedometer works, and the light bolt indicators work, like check engine, ABS.

But everything else is out! Fuel, Battery, Temp, Oil pressure, and Tachometer

Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

just buy a new board off ebay and be done with it.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Starting Member
Magmotor is on a distinguished road

Having a degree in electronics and troubleshoot & repaired many, many, many boards of all types, that board is shot. Without schematics, logic probe, and test point values, you can't do it and replacement parts are probably long gone. As stated above, take a chance at a yard or buy a known good one.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Or see if the rebuilt kit parts you can get will fix your issues.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I gave repairing it a shot. We ordered one on ebay for $75. Thanks guys.