1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Roof rack question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 AM
T's91Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Roof rack question

I have a question about the support needed for a custom roof basket. Not sure this is the right spot on the forum for it, but I'll go with it. My 91 has some rust, so I'm tried taking the roof rack off. I managed to drill thru the rack, so it's trash. Now I'm trying to cut the bolts and drill out the nut-serts. My problem is can I mount a custom basket made of inch and a half steel square tube on the roof using the holes where the original bolts were, or do I need extra support to keep from caving in my roof?

Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 PM
SgtSquishySquash is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old post but....
I did the same thing with my 95 suburban. But I used metal emt conduit pipe to make the roof rack. Anyway, you can make or use pipe mounts and self tappers to afix the rack to roof. But make sure you use rubber washers and some rtv silicone around all the screws that go into your roof to prevent leaks from rain etc.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 PM
T's91Blazer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of flat plate with welded bolts and somehow covering the nuts so no one can remove them. Might even weld them on. Mount or weld the legs for the rack to the flat plate. And yes silicon the crap out of the holes.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Hey I just got a roof rack thru amazon. 64 inches long and about 39 wide. Comes with mounts that clamp right onto your stock roof cross bars. 122 bucks! I am installing 8 LED light pods on it. 3 on each side 2 on the rear. And a full size light bar on the front of the roof. I'll post pictures when it's all done and mounted. Knockin it out this weekend.

Also going to spray bad liner on it as well. The rack that is.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SgtSquishySquash
Hey I just got a roof rack thru amazon. 64 inches long and about 39 wide. Comes with mounts that clamp right onto your stock roof cross bars. 122 bucks! I am installing 8 LED light pods on it. 3 on each side 2 on the rear. And a full size light bar on the front of the roof. I'll post pictures when it's all done and mounted. Knockin it out this weekend.
sounds exactly like what I'm doing this weekend, except that I'm tossing the stock roof rack and making brackets to attach the new one directly to the roof.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Also thru in 4 flush mount LED light pods in the front trim just under the bumper. Pics incoming asap

Before!

Old 02-11-2018, 06:55 PM

After!

Old 02-11-2018, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran

Looks great. Definitely puts out some light, too.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanks brother

Old 02-11-2018, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran

Which rack is that? There's like a million of them on Amazon, but I like the look of that one. Did you also get an extension?

Quick Reply: Roof rack question