1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

runs then dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member
mr t is on a distinguished road

still looking toget her fixed so any ideas anybody? service engine light is on even after leaving the battery off all night! NO fault codes showing?

Old 02-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member

could it be the fuel pump relay breaking down when warm?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member

HELP ME PLEASE! UPDATE....so after changing the following parts its still the same, fuel pump/fuel filter/ignition moduel/coil/idel air unit/fuel pump relay and the oil presure sender unit, any help would be most helpful, thanks

Old 03-23-2016, 02:27 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Dealing with the same here. 1994 4x4 S10 Blazer 4.3 TBI.
Just got a new distributor (reman) and was swapping that one in. Bugger have to make a long tube with a slit to turn the fuel pump in order to properly drop it in.

What I have come up with is the following:
- I always had spark and fuel injection. This can be normal as during start it runs in closed mode. Fuel means that i have an rpm signal from the ignition module.

- When cold it starts and runs. SES/MIL light is on during cranking (normal) and exinguishes when it runs.
For once I could observe some hesitations in idle and when revving it to 2'000 rpm I got intermittent weird rpm indications. This could be consistent with the no start issue when it becomes steady. Maybe loss of rpm signal.
I've no time to fumble with my ALDL cable and read out the codes. Replacing the distributor maybe today, latest over the easter weekend.
I'll let you know.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:26 PM
Jessy M Fletcher is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar issue with my 94 blazer w code.starts when cold but something seems to tell the fuel to shut off. It has the correct fuel pressure even after it dies. It's got me so puzzled. Any help would be awesome

Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

The problem could be a fuel mixture issue. When the engine is cold the Fuel Mixture is rich and when the engine warms up the fuel mixture is leaned out. The O2 sensor and the Temp Sensor for the ECM controls the fuel mixture once the engine is warmed up. Faulty readings could from one or both could cause the symptoms your having. The Temp Sensor for the ECM is a 2 wire Sending Unit by the water inlet at the front of the engine.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM

I replaced my temp sensor today and it didn't do it I will look into the o2 sensor to rule that out.I know it's not very old but that don't mean any thing. Haha thanks for the advise.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 PM

Well I chech my fuel pressure again on Saturday it was no where near what it was last time. Wouldn't go past 40 psi so I ordered a acdelco pump should be in soon. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Starting Member
danathan is on a distinguished road

im having the same exact issue I hope we can figure this out. I too just changed the icm.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Beginning Member

ITS ALIVE!!! after doing all the bits listed, i totaly changed the dizzy completley, and its now alive, many thanks for all your help folks

Quick Reply: runs then dies