1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Runs weird when cold and/or wet (especially with both..)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Runs weird when cold and/or wet (especially with both..)

So, this is my first year owning this 92 blazer. Now when it's really wet and cold, it doesn't like to start and when it does, it stalls a lot for the first 10 to 15 mins of driving. Now today, it started fine, but it idled kind of hard, and it was making putt putt putt noises from the tailpipe. This time it lasted about 20 mins. This is while it's stopped and parked. After that time though, it seems to run just dandy. Now my step-dad keeps telling me it's fine and it's just because it's old. and i shouldn't worry. I don't like how it idles and runs like this though. So i've come to the great minds of blazer forum for answers. Should i just live with this, or is there anything I can do (besides replacing the engine or something ridiculous) to make it idle better? Thanks
Kev

Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Runs weird when cold and/or wet (especially with both..)

When was the last time it had a complete tune-up (plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter)?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:04 PM

i'm not sure. How much does that cost? Or can I do it myself?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM
blazinjeeps is an unknown quantity at this point

It's better to do it yourself, since shops will usually gouge you for it. But yeah, if you just bought the truck and you don't know when the last tune up was, it's usually a pretty good idea to do one.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM

So what would a tune-up entail? How intensive? Is there a thread that already has this explained for me? Thanks!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

if the tune up doesnt help, and if its carburated, there should be a way to adjust the idle
i have a 4.3L in my boat and theres a screw on the carb that adjusts it
-steven

Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: stevo
if the tune up doesnt help, and if its carburated, there should be a way to adjust the idle
A 92 will either be TBI injection or CPI injection, not carbureted.

rriddle3 has posted above what the tuneup will entail - plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor and fuel filter.

The plugs and wires will require you to jack up the front end and go through the wheel wells (it is a heckuva lot easier that way) and one plug will require a universal joint (wobbly) with your spark plug socket. The cap & rotor just require a long phillips screwdriver and some care - to make sure you don't drop one of the screws where you can't reach it since GM didn't make them captured in the cap. And care that you get the wires back in the same place on the new cap.

The fuel filter requires flare nut wrenches and more care to make sure you don't round the nuts. Spraying with penetrating oil first is always a good idea. The fuel filter is on the frame rail under the driver's door.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Leeann_Bravada

rriddle3 has posted above what the tuneup will entail - plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor and fuel filter.

The plugs and wires will require you to jack up the front end and go through the wheel wells (it is a heckuva lot easier that way) and one plug will require a universal joint (wobbly) with your spark plug socket. The cap & rotor just require a long phillips screwdriver and some care - to make sure you don't drop one of the screws where you can't reach it since GM didn't make them captured in the cap. And care that you get the wires back in the same place on the new cap.

The fuel filter requires flare nut wrenches and more care to make sure you don't round the nuts. Spraying with penetrating oil first is always a good idea. The fuel filter is on the frame rail under the driver's door.

Cool. That's what I was looking for. What exactly is the cap and rotor? And what about the wires? Replace them? or just check them? I'm pretty sure that i have the tools, and if I don't then my step-dad will.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

'Cap' refers to the top of the distributor that the plug wires connect to and 'rotor' is the plastic piece just underneath the cap. Yes, replace the spark plug wires if you're unsure of their age. But the first thing you should do is go to an auto supply store and buy either a Haynes or Chilton repair manual for your specific year model truck. It contains all the info you need to do a tune-up correctly.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:30 PM

I actually have the Hayne's Manual. I didnt even think of that. Im dumb. Thanks a lot guys!