1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Smelly and surging 94 S-10 "W" Engine

Old 11-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Beginning Member
Slugranch is on a distinguished road
Default Smelly and surging 94 S-10 "W" Engine

This is gonna be a long one,,,,I use my Blazer very seldom. Mostly it sits parked, and get used to drive on the beach,(we have 28 miles that is a public hiway) and to pull my boat back and forth to the launch ramp... Decided to start driving it a little more often, so I went ou to start it, and the battery was dead. I have an Optima battery, so charged it up, and started the truck. Took care of some cosmetic things like new wiper blades, and some new rear window struts, repaired a couple of broken wires on the rear widow defoggers and filled it up with fresh gas. Had occasion of it missing and surging and the Check Engine light coming on. I would just finish my short drives, shut the engine off, and when I got back in and started it up, the light would remain off. Haven't seen the light on in a couple of weeks. Am driving it about 7 miles twice a day. It runs and idles sort of rough and surges a little when running at street speeds. Starts a little harder than it used to, and after you park and turn the engine off, step out of the truck and the smell hits you. Smells like an older rig that has been running with the choke closed. Kind of a tinge of the rotten egg smell. I need to install new plugs,wires, cap and rotor. Have them on the shelf in the shop, and am trying to get a moderate dry day to change them. I think I may have a sensor not working, but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Beginning Member
STARMAN is on a distinguished road

Well if it was my truck , I would start with the plugs , wires , etc . Then I would go to Walmart and buy a bottle of house brand injector cleaner and a bottle of starting fluid . With the engine COLD , Pour the injector cleaner into tank , and start up the engine . Then before the exhaust manifolds get too hot , I would spray the starting fluid all around the intake manifold , vacuum connections , etc . If there is a vacuum leak , the starting fluid should cause a change in the rpms when its drawn into the air leak . You might want to have the local auto parts store check the codes for ya , its nomally free .

P.S. when ya pull the plugs , they might give ya an idea of what the problem is , based on what the tips look like .

Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
shawncullen is on a distinguished road
Default try this mine was the same

pull your rge are valve off and clean it more then
likely you have a big clump of carbon kepping it from closing properly
two ten mm bolts and unplug the wire harness
clean it then head to advance auto and tell them you want a screened gasket
and this womnt happen no more
good luck

oh and the rotten egg smell is prolly your cat. converter taking a poop

Last edited by shawncullen; 11-25-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: add on
Old 11-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Beginning Member
Slugranch is on a distinguished road

Only parts house here is a NAPA and one indepedant that has to order everything from the city. I'll try the EGR thing and see if I can locate a gasket with a screen. Thanks