1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Spare Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Jimmy29067 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spare Tire Carrier

I own a 1993 S-10 Blazer 2wd. I want to add a rear mounted spare tire carrier. My model has the spare tire located behind the back seat. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell if there is any hardware located inside the frame of my vehicle for mounting a rear spare tire carrier? I already purchased the carrier and need to know if this is possible. Thanks for any help with this problem.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:54 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Spare Tire Carrier

thats a damn shame that u already purchased the carrier, i personally would try and return it or have it returned. take that money and purchase something better.
and heres why:
the bushings on those carriers wear out quick from the weight of the tire constantly pulling on them.
also once that happens ur tire will bounce around while u drive.
all that bouncing puts unwanted strain on the rear gate/window.
not only will u have the most annoying squeaks develop but it can crack the outer top edge of the gate.
even with the window adjusted tight u may redevelop the squeak, i had to glue felt strips along the bottom of the window to ensure tightness and to allow the play without a rubbery squeak.
and last but not least the rear quater panel will also develop a rattle so loud over bumps that u may think ur rearshock on that sideis bad.
i am actually planning on moving mine to the inside cause i have the hook and wing nut needed to attach the tire next to the jack/window.
then im gonna have to bondo and paint cause i hate those blazers with the holes from these carriers.
plus i just thought about all the water that will get trapped in the rear panels when the silicone/liquid nailsaround the torx bolts wears off.

sorry to be so negative about it but i here andsee horror stories about them. and i figured i could help another before its too late.

if u do decide to go with it then make sure u apply a bead of silicone to every bolt and wrap the bar that the latch grabs with some black duct tape or sime kinda of wrap. wrap it where the bar fits into its guide on the latchto take up some of the play.
good luck