1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Stalls While Driving

Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stalls While Driving

Posted on the .net also

I have a 1994 s10 blazer like 98000 miles. The problem occurs, but not everytime. When im driving the truck will sometimes stall, or stay running and has no throttle response. I put my foot on the gas and nothing, but the truck didnt stall yet, and eventually when I hit the gas it will have response again. It also will stall while idling too.Today it started by stalling while stting at a traffic light, hard to start but started within 10 seconds. Then while driving it would stall, or act unresponsivle to the throttle. Stalled like 5 times within a 10 mile drive. I came home put my fuel pressure guage on it and fuel pressure was no problem, with the truck off its like 60 or 61 psi and it doesnt seem to be losing pressure and at idling at 56 psi. Truck does seem like its running a bit rich. I dont know if it may be my spider finally failing. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator around a year ago. The passenger side is clean like all the symptoms of a failing FPR but i dont know if it is still just clean from the first failed FPR. Any help would be really appreciated, I need to get to school!!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stalls While Driving

I would look into your EGR valve being partially clogged, hanging open.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:59 PM

I just cleaned it like 1000 miles ago so its possible ill try to clean it out again

Old 11-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would also see if you can hook your fuel pressure gauge up and have it someplace visible while you drive to monitor it as you go down the road.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Do you guys think it may be the ICM? Due to the fact that it doesnt stumble before it dies, its just like someone turns the key off. It sometimes stalls, like completely turns off the battery and check guages lights turn on, but most of the time there is just no throttle response. No lights will come on and I still have power steering, it will just coast and then eventually respond to the pedal again.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Ok so I went and replaced the Ignition Control Module. The truck still stalls while driving, and also at traffic lights. It does NOT stumble it dies as if someone turned off the key. I need some imput because I have no other way of getting to school I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Ok so doing process of elimination I may have found a possible problem to this. It only happens when I have less then a half tank of gas. When I fill up the problem disappears. Reading around I heard it may be the gas cap causing vapor lock is this true? Reading it says when the problem keeps occuring take off thegas cap and see if it goes away. Im not too sure if this is it but it makes sense. Any input?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

With fuel injection and pumps in the tank, vapor lock is almost gone.

However, if it only does it with less than 1/2 tank of fuel, your fuel pump might be dying.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

as previously stated...ck fuel pressure as this occurs. jp[&:]

Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Ok so my truck shutting off stopped for a while after constantly keeping it at a full tank. Today my truck shut off atleast 25 times within a 10 mile drive. I have almost a full tank so the truck turning off under a full tank wasnt it. Today I started my truck after somesitting for 40 minutes of soand unplugged the map sensor. The truck droped in rpm's but idled perfectly fine, I know usually the truck would stall but it didnt it was like it was always pluged in. On the way home it stalled atleast 20 times. Sometimes the engine wouldnt shut off but coast and after about 30 seconds or so would come back to life, most of the time it turned off though. When I got home I unplugged the map sensor and the truck bogged down and shut off, which was the complete opposite from previously. Would the map sensor cause intermitent shut offs? What should the map sensor do when its uplugged? Also when the truck turns off my radio still stays on I dont lose power to everything so im doubting the ignition switch. Fuel pressure is still good. Still unsure of what to try next. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stalls While Driving