1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Thanksgiving headache

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member
Rusty Piece of Love is on a distinguished road
Default Thanksgiving headache

So I'm driving home from thanksgiving dinner in my rusty 92 and all of a sudden it dies. When I tried to start it it turned over, but would not start. I took off the air filter (code z) and looked to see if it was spraying fuel like its supposed to, and it was. I checked all the connections for the.ignition and nothing seemed.to be loose, so I waited for 2 hours for the tow truck. $70 dollars and a broken valance later I had it home and as soon as I got it off the flatbed it started. Naturally I was upset about this. What could this be?

Old 11-29-2013, 02:28 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to '1st Gen Tech'*

Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member
cdxhizors is on a distinguished road

Well, I have the W motor so I'm not sure how different the ignition system is (obvious there are huge differences between our fuel systems haha) but when I first bought my 93 Jimmy it did the same thing..I replaced every sensor on the motor with no luck..turned out to be the ignition module in the distributor. Easy fix..i just replaced the whole base of the distributor. It's like 130 bucks for my vortec. Hopefully this helps! It was frustrating..it would just die...not start back up...wait 20 minutes and it'd fire up and drive like normal for a little while.

The ignition modules are known to heat up and break down.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:30 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you I will pick up this part tomorrow at Oreillys and post some pics of the process if I can. Hopefully this is the problem. Thanks again

Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

Well I replaced the ICM, cap, and rotor, and bows shes purring like a kitten. All of the connection points were corroded inside the cap and the rotor was blackened. The Icm was partially melted and corroded as well. Thank you once again for saving me the headache of trying all of the other things I thought it was first. Hopefully we'll get a few thousand more miles without another breakdown well, at least through the Midwest winter haha.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
cdxhizors is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rusty Piece of Love
Well I replaced the ICM, cap, and rotor, and bows shes purring like a kitten. All of the connection points were corroded inside the cap and the rotor was blackened. The Icm was partially melted and corroded as well. Thank you once again for saving me the headache of trying all of the other things I thought it was first. Hopefully we'll get a few thousand more miles without another breakdown well, at least through the Midwest winter haha.
Haha these things are getting old. Old age is catching up with mine. Stuff that gets worn is getting worn on mine and breaking lol. I love it too much to give up though! Glad I could help you and save you all the trouble I went through.. Mine sat in oreillys parking lot for 2 days and I did most of the work in the parking lot.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member

Gotta love oriellys for always having a concrete hospital bed available for those intense operations haha.