1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Trans will only shift manually

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road
Default Trans will only shift manually

Ok, so to add to all my problems today after I left class my truck felt slow and after paying more attention it didn't shift from 0-70 at all. I can only manually select what gear it's in except 1st shifts to 2nd at about 20 every time if i stay in 1. but 2 is allways 2nd, 3 is 3rd, 4 is 4th. It pulls fine, shifts when i tell it to fine. Now after i got home (as to not break down elsewhere) I turned it off and restarted it and it shifted fine for a couple runs then i backed into my driveway. Freaking wierd, the rest of the week will tell if this is a recurring problem. I didnt notice the speedo quit at all I wasnt looking at it before i noticed the problem so idk. I use the trip odo to tell mpg's every fill up and it seemed to be working. I read something like if you do a burn out on take off it can mess with it, I did take off fast out of my parking lot casue me and my friend like screwing around with his Civic but i didnt hear a squeal and I have a locking rear end that as of yesterday works. So shouldnt have been a one-wheel-wonder. I've been noticing that the truck may not be downshifting into 1st all the time at a stop until I hit the gas. Sometimes if i let my foot off the brake it pulls and sometimes it wont with no gas. IDK if i'm wierd for noticing these things but I'm always waiting for things to break, lol. Comes with the business.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

kinda confused so are you having problems shift or not

Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

sounds like a vehicle speed sensor, from what the first part of your story says. mine is disconnected and its the same way. manual shift through the gears but if you redline 1st while in D it will eventually shift into 2nd

Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

Well its fixed itself so far. Maybe false alarm.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Starting Member
95brainpain is on a distinguished road
Default Not shifting and no speedo

Hey, I have a good idea what is wrong with your truck. I have experienced the same thing with my 95 daily driver until it finally wouldn't go past second gear.
I had tried new VSS and many other ideas from here and from mechanics advice.
Here is what solved my problem:

1st make sure your connection is secure at the VSS.
2nd If it is trace the two wires from VSS to PCM (located under glove box) wire loom should run under hood and tuck between A/C coil and passenger front fender. The wires will be with approx. 50 or 60 other wires. But don't worry..... at least in my 95 there were only 2 wires that are twisted into a "rope" look out of the whole bunch. They are purple/white and Green/black on 2 wheel drive (light green/black and purple/white 4 wheel drive).
3rd Cut old wires and abandon.
4th replace, reroute, plug in and make water tight connections (lots of black tape and butt connectors)
5th Drive and enjoy! Wires get beat up and lose coating over the years and can't send the signal needed.
Good luck!
If I get enough interest to this seemingly huge problem, I can post a block of pics and video to you tube. You decide.