1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

where does this wire go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member
dlboyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where does this wire go?

85 s10 blazer 4x4 new short block. I took the motor out and someone else install the new one, my question is above the shift linkage (auto) a wire drops down out of a wiring harness with an eyelet on it as if it supposed to be connected somewhere or grounded? Seems like i took that off the cross member where some other lines were running through just can;t remember. Chiltons is no help. Any ideas what this is? It is hot with the key on and in park or any other gear? My reverse lights do not work, could this have something to do with it? Thanks in advance. It is a 2.8l carb.
It looks as though it is a brown wire.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: where does this wire go?

Picture? So it is a hot wire, that means that it should not be grounded.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you i have a meeting tonight afterwards i will get a picture of it and post it, seems there is some kind of solinoid up there on the side with a few wires, just hard to get a look at it. I know i have a mechanical kick down cable on the carb, would there be an electronic one also? With it unhooked i would think something is not working and chiltons says the revese light switch is in the colume or under the dash.?/???

Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Beginning Member

Hope this helps

*EDIT by swartlkk* - put in image.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Beginning Member

[IMG][/image

Old 10-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No image was posted... PM me if you need help.

*EDIT* - I included the image in your post above that you had attached to your PM to me.

I am sorry to say that without seeing where that wire comes from, it will be near impossible to determine its original intent. Someone put that wire there for a purpose. It is not stock wiring.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member

here are the other two, thank you for posting that one, lets see if i can do this
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12108/DCAABC4972FF49D1B3A1D98964589431.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12108/ACED9E993A3D489FB848A5E37F6EB01C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12108/6C6BB622037D48868B232F9A57062DC7.jpg[/IMG]

So what would be on the drivers side of the tranny having wires coming out of it? The wire in question drops out of a harness, looks factory to me or someone went to a lot of trouble to run it in that harness?? I just don't know and your help is appreciated. I think tonight i will take some pics of the vac lines i have to work with, or what's left of them. This was a cali blazer w/smog pump which had been removed when i got it. I have capped off the check valves on both sides. Have a question about a few lines off of the carb i will post a pic to see what you experienced ones can share. Thanks again

Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Looks like someone tore apart the wiring at the back of the transmission... Could you get a better picture of that mess of wires at the side of the transmission?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member

yes i will swartlkk
i will not get home till 10 central though

Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

I will check back in the morning then. With something like this, where someone has done some of their own creative "work" on the stock wiring, there is almost no way of telling what was done and what is original. Information on the older years as far as wiring colors, etc is scarce as well.

Quick Reply: where does this wire go?