1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Why is it close to impossible to find info on a NP233?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Beginning Member
mandng0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is it close to impossible to find info on a NP233?

Ok guys, Im replacing the 4.3 with a carbed 305 and while Im at it, I want to service my Tcase which is a NP233.

I cant find any info on this forum or the net to save my life. Does anyone have any diagrams for me to become familiar with this tcase?

Im tryin to find out how to
1. identify my drain and fill plugs
2. find out which fluid to use
3. Convert to manual shift

Since Im converting it to manual shift, (2hi 4hi 4lo ), how can i identify which gear the tcase is in once the drive shaft is taken out? There are 3 clicks when I manual shift the tcase... Front, Middle, Rear. Which position does it need to be in when I reinstall the rear drive shaft?

4. need to find out how to replace rear main seal

Anyone?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

#1 - top is fill, bottom is drain. They will be the large hex plugs on the back of the t-case

#2 - NV233 uses dexron 3 transmission fluid.

#3 - Remove encoder motor and attach an arm. IIRC, all the way to the front is 2HI, then 4HI, then 4LO That is the detents anyway. Halfway between 4HI and 4LO will be Neutral. You do not need to be in any particular gear to reinstall a driveshaft. In the case of the rear driveshaft, just line up the splines and slide it in then bolt it up to the rear axle.

#4 - Pry out the old seal and pound in the new seal trying not to bend it up. I find that a large socket works good to install new seals.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member
mandng0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. About that tcase, Its a NP and not NV on the back of the case.

I thought there wasnt a neutral and only 2hi 4hi 4lo ?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

NP = New Process and NV = New Venture. The cases are the same. I was just giving you another avenue to find the information you seek.

There will always be a neutral position between the range changes while the HI and LO gears are both disengaged. It just is not an attainable position with the electronic controls and does not have a detent position associated with it.