1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

wires wires wires help help help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 PM
rogggg1020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wires wires wires help help help

ok everybody i need some help,i just bought a 89 blazer 2.8 4wdr from a friend and he put a replacement motor 2.8 in it with 60000 on it,now since he did that i have to disconnect the battery after i shut of the motor or it will drain the battery there is several wires not connected under the hood{ok so hes not a close friend} and i cant seem to find where any of them go most of them are on the driver side btw none of the gauges or radio works if that helps so any sugg, or input would be very helpful

Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Default RE: wires wires wires help help help

ok everybody dont answer at once lol...i know this is a mess to even begin with explaining is there one certain place i should start??? from the looks of the motor it looks like it came from the 70's or something the carb on it is not like any i have seen,it looks like the front barrel is a backwards "D" and the back one looks like a "B" it thats helpful...if there is any pics i can see of a normal 2.8 set up without the air filter on it and good close ups of the wires onthe driver side and pass side then i would be able to start to trace it down..... thanks alot

Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I was waiting to respond until I had time with my references at home... The 89 blazer would have a TBI (throttle body injected) 2.8L in it. From the sounds of it, your friend put a carbed motor into it... If this is the case, then you are going to have a fun time! With that said, you can narrow down this problem without knowing anything about the motor...

Electrical problems are the most difficult problems to trace down. Sometimes the best thing that can happen is to have physical harness damage (hopefully that does not mean fire) because it shows you directly where the problem is/was. For intermittent problems and power drains, it can drive a man to drink...

For any power drain problem, you should start at the fuse block. Remove the fuse and put a test light across the fuse cavity (you may have to use a spade connector for the ground clamp to make a connection in the fuse cavity). If the light illuminates, then the circuit is drawing power. Work from there.

Another way to do it is to install a test light between the positive post of the battery and then pull all of the fuses (remembering what fuse rating goes where). Then put the fuses back in one at a time with only one fuse installed at a time. If the light illuminates, then there is a draw on that circuit. Repeat the process until you have tested each fused circuit. It helps to write down all of the circuits and then record the result of the test (Did the light illuminate? Yes/No). It could be more than one circuit. If, after removing all of the fuses, the light is still lit, then you have a power drain somewhere between the battery and the fuse box or on one of the non-fused components (alternator, starter, or other aftermarket equipment) and need to diagnose that separately.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 PM

i really do apperciate all the info, sorryfor the comment this is the first time i belonged to any forum and from what i have read it seems to be the best one too..you mention installing a test light between the pos. post and where??? the fuse block or should it be pretty much a jumper just to see which fuse it might be???and you mentioned it being a carbed motor then would the parts be the same or would they have to be for that motor??? and which motor would be better??? any differance in performance??? sorry for all the questions i have never owned this type of veh, b4 its always been rice bunners with very small motors. do you know where i could get pics of the motor so i could try to trace down those extra wired plugs under the hood???

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

oh yeah THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFO SWART

Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 PM

oh yeah THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFO SWART

Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that. I knew I was leaving something off when I hit "OK", but could not find it. Had to put the kids to bed so I did not worry about it too much.

Anyway, you would disconnect the positive wire from the battery then put the test light between the positive post and the positive wire. It does not matter which way you connect it up.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM

THANKS SWART, I HAVE 2 KIDS MYSELF A 2 1/2 MONTH OLD AND A 5 YEAR OLD AND IM GOING GREY BETWEEN THEM BOTH LOL

Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 PM

so is there any pics i can go by to figure out where in the world those wire plugs under the hood go to???

Old 09-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Wiring diagrams are found in many of the service manuals available for your truck. Haynes/Chiltons are not the best, but should provide the detail you are looking for. The factory service manuals can be expensive.