2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

$900 to fix replace a fuelpump?!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $900 to fix replace a fuelpump?!

So my dad went to the local Fire stone to get an estimate on getting my fuel sender and fuel pump replaced and the quoted us $900
and the worst part is is that 500 of that is just for the parts which I think is outrageous! so it looks like either I am going to be doing it or I will purchase the parts on line and take them to them. what do you guys think is the best plan of action? and if I decide to do it myself, do any of you guys have any tips?

Old 11-09-2007, 03:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: $900 to fix replace a fuelpump?!

$200-$300 too high. There are quite a few threads on here concerning replacing the fuel pump (dropping the tank, etc.) Take some time to read them and you'll have a good idea what you are facing.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

I paid $600 for my isuzu rodeo at the dealer.... so that sounds really high! I wouldnt recommend this job to the average joe as I have heard its a nightmare without an overhead lift...I would buy the part online and take it to a shop. Done. Good luck

Old 11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Try and save as much money as possible, therefore buy the parts first then take them to a resonable shop to get it done.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:45 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

the pump by itself is about $350 so thats $550 in labor(I dont think so).

Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Exactly, [sm=wtf.gif]are they charging 100+ dollars and hour thats outrageous. I would say a more reasonable price would be 500 out the door new pump and labor but 900 yea right!!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If you do buy the pump yourself, pay attention to what blazin97 said about the price. You can buy a pump for much less, but you will get what you pay for and being doing the same job in a very short time. Use only the GM part and not an aftermarket, much cheaper part.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:00 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: thegr81

Exactly, [sm=wtf.gif]are they charging 100+ dollars and hour thats outrageous. I would say a more reasonable price would be 500 out the door new pump and labor but 900 yea right!!!!

My dealership, last I checked, was $102 an hour + 10% shop supplies...

ORIGINAL: AJBert

If you do buy the pump yourself, pay attention to what blazin97 said about the price. You can buy a pump for much less, but you will get what you pay for and being doing the same job in a very short time. Use only the GM part and not an aftermarket, much cheaper part.
AC Delco is the way to go so far with these things... More expensive, but they last the longest...

Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 PM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have any friends that are good with trucks have one of themm help with it. Thats what I do.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

The hardest parts of this job, IMHO, are getting the fuel connections off the pump (no working room under there), getting the rubber collars off the fill and vent connections to the tank itself and getting the nuts and bolts off the gas tank holding straps. Don't destroy the rubber collars (as I did in my frustration) cause you can't get them replaced (not even the dealer could get me new rubber collars. I ended up gluing the collars back together with Krazy Glue (it worked) and then wrapping the collars with a stretchable rubber roofing membrane product. No leaks to this day.). I ended up taking the tank out 3 times until I got everything assembled just right. The 2nd time I had it all put back together, I discovered that my tank had pinhole leaks in the side of the tank where the tank is closest to the frame rail under the drivers side rear door (4 door '96 Blazer). JB Weld to the rescue on that one. Working fine to this day. Good Luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $900 to fix replace a fuelpump?!