2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 engine tap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Lucky614 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 01 engine tap

Ok guys I went out to start my truck this morning and when I did I had a tap on the top end of the motor that sounded like a rocker arm or push rod. I dont have my book with me but the 4.3 doesn't have a overhead cam right?
Thanks,Ken

Old 01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 01 engine tap

Nope, it's a single cam, centrally located. The engine does have a balance shaft located above the cam.

The tap could be a lifter not coming up to prime which could just mean that it is stuck. What brand and type of oil do you run and how long has it been since you changed your oil and filter? Oil sledge can get into the bore on a lifter and cause it to not prime up properly and can cause the tap that you are experiencing. I would change the oil over to a quality synthetic and possibly do an engine flush. If it is only when it is cold out, let it warm up until the ticking goes away.

*EDIT* - The reason why I suggest synthetic (atleast for a few oil changes) is because of its ability to clean the inside of the engine out. Much like a flush (but not as potent or fast acting), synthetic oil will clean out built up sludge left on the insides of the engine.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Thanks Man I was hoping that you would reply!! I am due for a oil change now. I am thinking that it is probably just that, either it is stuck or loose. I will check as soon as I can pull the cover and let you know!!

Ken

Old 01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem. I would do the oil change and see how it goes before pulling the valve covers.

Like I said, if you are running conventional oil and are due for an oil change, it could just be the older oil causing the issue. To make sure, I'd run synthetic (I'm partial to the price and availability of Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30/5w30). After the first 2 3,000 mile oil change intervals on synthetic, you should be good to go for 5,000 to 7,000 mile intervals. As always, buy a quality filter. I recommend PureOne, Purolator, AC Delco, Mobil 1, Napa Gold, Wix, and possibly K&N. All those prior to K&N have excellent filtering ability and above par construction. The K&N is equally as well constructed as the others, but it sacrifices more flow for less filtering ability. I run either PureOne or Purolator filters on all of my vehicles. For the price, they can not be beat.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 AM

Well I found it! I had a worn rocker arm on the driver side. I had Napa order it and a new push rod yesterday they should be in today. I hope to have it back running this afternoon.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Wow, a worn rocker arm...? How many miles? Must have been a factory defect or something to wear...

Glad you found the problem!

Definitely do an engine flush, you want to make sure that all of the metal shavings are out of the pan before you run it too much.