2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 ABS light and brake light on....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995 ABS light and brake light on....

First off thanks for all of the help on all of the other problems with my blazer. It is now running good as new so I am heading into things that are just bothering me. The ABS and Parking Brake lights are always on. When it started up about 4 months ago I checked the codes and it didn't show any. My mechanic said that meant more than likely that the control module was shot. He advised for me to drive it like I drove before ABS ever existed unless I wanted to spend the big bucks to replace the control. I did that and have not had any trouble with the brakes at all but I noticed a couple of weeks ago when it rained (hadn't rained in a long while) that the truck would NOT lock up no matter how hard I hit the brakes and no matter how fast I was going. So my question now is what else is there that could be making my lights stay on? Should I take off the wheels/tires and check the sensors on the hub? What exactly should I look for? Since the ABS is still working does that mean my controller is fine?? Thanks once again.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 1995 ABS light and brake light on....

Low brake fluid in the master cylinder?
Faulty park brake switch?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Plenty of fluid. Would a parking brake switch make the ABS light stay on also?

Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM

Nobody has a direction for me to go? I got three days to figure it out and I was hoping for at least some guidance.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I don't actually have any info for the '95 ABS system. I suggested checking the park brake switch because it could be related.
Does the park brake light flicker or change at all when you apply or release the park brake? If it does, replace the switch and see if that cures both lights.
That's the best I can come up with for ya....for now.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Sundevildaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar issue with one of my '96s. I found that a fault in the factory position of the attached wiring for the Park Brake switch actually crimped and shorted. This effectively caused my Park brake and ABS lights to stay on continuous. After splicing the harness with a fresh pigtail for the switch, I took the Blazer to my local brake shop and had them check and clear the ABS system. No problems since.
Another possibility, have a reputable brake shop or your dealership do a once over of the ABS system, not very expensive if all you want is them to tell you the cause, the money (for them) is in the repair.
One final note... Do not... I repeat.... DO NOT take your vehicles back to the mechanic you had take a look at your Blazer... "He advised for me to drive it like I drove before ABS ever existed unless I wanted to spend the big bucks to replace the control..." Are you kidding me?!?!?! A failing ABS can cause multiple problems up to and including Serious Bodily Harm !!![sm=smiley23.gif] That is why every manufacturer in the world send out massive recalls anytime a fault with their ABS systems is discovered. I will grant you, all vehicles equipped with ABS revert to standard hydraulic braking when the system experiences a fault, but to state the above statement is proposterous at least.
My recommendation: Check your harness around your park brake.. check for pinches, cuts, loose connection, etc. If you do find an issue, disconnect the ground on your battery for a minimum of 30 minutes to clear all codes and reset the system. (even if you don't find an issue with the harness, try reseting the system, the lights may go off). Even if the system clears, have your brake system run through a diagnostic at a reputable brake shop or dealership.

Hope it helps.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:36 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Teh ABS light is on telling you the ABS system has been deactivaed, no doubt to to the brake switch being on. The brake switch is on typically because you ahve a leak, or faulty brake switch. You got drums ont eh rear, pull htem off and look for fluid. Actually look at all your brake line, your looking for fluid. It doesn't take a bunch and you may never notice teh resivour getting low. Another thing to check is air, if you cooked your brake fluid you may have air in the lines, bleed the system.

I just replaced a rear whel cylindar on my '93 because the brake shoe disentegrated.