2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driving Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
Mitakid is on a distinguished road
Default Driving Mirrors

I have just replaced the drivers side mirror on a 95 Blazer,I have a Chilton.
It tells me to remove the bezel for the door handle,then to remove the door panel, well you cannot remove it and although I managed to get the panel off to replace the door panel it is almost impossible after struggling for a few hours,I need some suggestions.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
GreggieAtTheBat is on a distinguished road

I'm in the middle of the same thing. (Driver's side power mirror, '95 Blazer, power mirrors, locks, and windows).
Replacing the d.s. mirror, that part was no problem. My Haynes manual gives good instructions on removing the door panel, but doesn't give good instructions for reattaching the lock pull to the rod in the door during reinstallation.
Help?

Mitakid - specifically, which part are you having trouble with? I've gotten everything to go together except for the lock mechanism. (Power and key lock/unlock works, but I can't get the manual handle/indicator to snap to the rod).

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-18-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member

Yep same problem although my door is locked and now I need to get someone to open the door by going down the window, to allow me to try again

Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM
GreggieAtTheBat is on a distinguished road

After messing with the latch for a long time (~1-2 hours), I finally got it to go together by carefully lining up the lock rod with the slider in the door panel. It took many attempts to get the slider to snap in place AND have the panel properly located without unsnapping the slider.

I don't know if there's an easier way, but persistence paid off.
As far as the panel itself, I found that the most consistently successful method of installation was to make sure that all but one (see next line) of the push-clips are installed in the panel.

The exception is the clip that goes into the door just above the mirror bolts. Push that clip into the door (instead of the panel), but only about half way. Then you can slide the panel over the top edge of the door, and carefully slide the clip boss on the panel over the end of the half-installed clip. Once you're there, push that clip into the door.

Then mess with the lock. Get it lined up as well as possible with the lock rod, and push HARD. You have to deflect the door panel far enough that the slider will latch onto the lock rod. Once that is in place (and tested several times in both directions), carefully pop the remaining clips into the door. I had the best success working first down the edge under the mirror (carefully -- the clip *under* the mirror is tricky), then down the opposite edge, then along the bottom.

Regarding your door being locked -- the slider is only for manual engagement (i.e., locking it by hand) and for indicating whether it's locked or unlocked. The actual lock mechanism is independent of that, so your key (or power lock switch, if you have it) will still lock or unlock the door without the slider attached.

I hope this helps, and I hope you get your door put together!
Cheers!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member

Many thanks,I have put the weekend aside to nail this sucker, figuratively speaking of course.