2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 Distributor HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
nineteensixtycaddy is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Distributor HELP!!!

Ok... this has got to be some kind of joke.

Finally got most things straightened out, but still having a misfire. No codes, but steady misfire.

So... thinking its got to be the distributor.

Here's the problem. When my distributor was replaced with a "new" one. It didn't quite look like the old one. We managed to cobble together a clamp for the new one, get the timing set, and it ran. For a few weeks.

So... we decided to replace it again.

Ordered BRAND SPANKING NEW AC DELCO distributor, for a 95 only Chevy S10 Blazer. Apparently the 94 and prior are different, and the 96 and post, are different. So, this has GOT TO BE, the right part.

Nope

Not the same as what I originally had.

This new sucker looks just like the "new" one I had after the engine rebuild, but nothing like the one I had prior to rebuild.

Prior to rebuild, the distributor had an aluminum shaft, and base, and the base had a tuning fork style locator, that went down onto a pin sticking out of the intake. Lined up great, then put on the clamp, tightened down the bolt, and the distributor couldn't rotate even if the bolt was a little loose. Great design, loved it... but that distributor was bad, bearings were off a bit, it rocked, and the button rattled inside the cap.

So... hence the need for a "new" distributor.

When the new one came, it had the same height, width, etc, but the base was not aluminum. AND... no tuning fork to allign it properly. Instead, it had a square cut into the base, with the clamp that bolted in, holding it still. BUT.... when the clamp was alligned with the square, the hole didn't line up with the bolt. No way, no how, no matter how we rotated it, the hold didn't line up with the pin, or with the bolt hole.

So... genius that we are, we fabbed a clamp, so the distributor could rotate to the proper location, and tightened the crud out of it, so it wouldn't rotate.

As stated, it only worked for a few weeks.

So... with the brand new acdelco part, the base is still this strange square cutout, and again.... it doesn't line up with the hole for the pin, or the hole for the bolt, without mashing the distributor into the upper intake, or just not seating at all.

What gives????? Why doesn't the new delco distributor fit my intake and slide right into place, why doesnt' it have the tuning fork allignment deally... and how do I find the right distributor for my truck?

I've looked up the numbers on my intake, and they dont' come up. So I can't tell if it's the proper intake or not. But I have good word that the intake on the truck now, is the exact same intake that was on the truck the day it rolled off the dealership lot, in 95.

Help please. I need this thing running right, and I don't want to just redneck rig it temporary again, cuz this is an almost $400 distributor/cap/+rotor. I want it right. Perfect right.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

according to NAPA their are 2 available distrubitos for your truck 1 is electronic with module in distrubitor and the other is without module in distrubitor. go to napaonline.com and select your truck then search for distrubitor and which ever one looks tight to you is the right part. I can almost garuentee that you will find the right part there because NAPA remanufactures distrubitors so they will have the exact one that come on your truck in 95!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Beginning Member
nineteensixtycaddy is on a distinguished road

Ok... just looked at napa online, and sure enough, the photo they have shows a distributor with the tuning fork style allignment! Awesome!!!!! Why didn't I think of that?!?

Now if they'd just have it in stock............

Thanks ryan

Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

no prob, hope it work out well