2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer Front driver door won't lock and dome light flickering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Beginning Member
xderkax is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 98 Blazer Front driver door won't lock and dome light flickering?

Odd situation here...

Started a few days ago, was driving home from school, when my dome light started flickering on and off. So I just hit the dome override and it stopped that. Just out of habit, I was in a pretty rough neighborhood, so I went to lock my doors. 3 of the four locked, with the exception of the driver door. It went to lock, but then would unlock itself automatically. This went on until I got home, and I parked and turned the car off to check out the problem. Having the door open and the blazer turned off fixed the problem! The door would lock again, and the dome light went off when I closed the door.

Then for 2+ days I didn't drive it(had a pretty big blizzard), then this afternoon, I was driving to visit my mom, same problem. When the car was running, I had the same issues as described above, but, as soon as I parked and had the door open, the problem was fixed.

Any suggestions as to what this could be? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:31 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

My first guess would be to check out the door pin on the driver's side. Not the pin/bushing that the door hangs on but a little sensor in the dash, facing outwards towards the door that tells the truck whether the door is open or not. If there is intermittent contact on that pin or an electrical problem with it, it could be the source of your problem. I would check for frayed or crimped wires leading to that sensor.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member
xderkax is on a distinguished road

pin seems ok, little bit loose but seems to be making proper contact. New thing I noticed, the lock only unlocks when I have the key in the ignition and its turned at least a little bit. If the key is out, or just sitting in the ignition, the door locks fine.