2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 Blazer 2dr 4.3L Heater turns on/off when left to on position but key removed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Kevin Cody is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 Blazer 2dr 4.3L Heater turns on/off when left to on position but key removed

The blower turns itself on/off...hasn't been a problem, but this morning my battery was dead. AND now my power windows refuse to work.

I am thinking this is an ignition switch problem-it was replaced before I bought it.

All other power acc work, locks and seat...no windows.

Is there a way to power my drivers side window up?

Is there any instructions on maybe fixing the igintion switch or replacing please.

Thanks for any help!!

I love this blazer/my first truck

Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

The blower working by itself even if the key off (if I read that right) says ignition switch to me.
Kyle (swartllk) our admin has a link https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/ that may help you for diagnosing it.

Have you checked the fuses in the cab (left side of the dash inbetween the door & dash) & the fuse/power block under the hood on the DS fenderwell for the windows?
Sure there is a way to "power up the windows" but you'll have to splice into the wires leading into the door or (easier & less harmfull) remove the panel & jump the switch if even by a 'hot lead' you have from a power source.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Rott, thanks for the link...i ran two wires in the fuse box from the power acc relay above the window relay (top to top-bottom to bottom)

All windows work fine...of course the heater stays on if i do not switch off...but hey the windows roll up and down, so does that suggest relay?

Also the blower moteor doesn't do top speed, i replaced the thing under hood in box (blower motor relay?) did nothing to help that...

thanks for the link-is it really difficult to the switch, rekey well let me look that link...thanks so much again!!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 PM

ah ha! so this might explain why now my super cool blazer starts more easily too...out of nowhere it refused to start first thing in the morning before i "hot wired" the windows. Now it starts with less of a problem. I was told it was a notoriously bad fuel pump but i found paper work which show the pump replaced 50k ago.

hmm ignition switch sound like the culprit then maybe for the blower to work at hi i will have to replace, no? the guy i bought if from said he had to replace the ignition and said he had to pull the whole steering column, as I now recall-i am in now way qualified for something like this if it is true...???

Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Look for our admin Kyle/swartllk in forum & click on the link Anatomy Of An ignition Switch in his sig. It may help. Glad I helped a bit & may be leading to to less issues & or solutions.
It's what we're about.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Default Thanks rottidog! and everyone!

Thanks again!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

This thread is interesting! My blower has been stuck on one speed and never shuts off for the last couple of years, even if you turn the key off, blower still runs till battery is dead. No one can figure it out! I have a switch sitting on the console that runs out to the blower motor to shut it off. It's the only thing that doesn't work. Everything else works fine.
Are you saying it's my ignition switch? The dealer can't even figure it out.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 AM

this sounds like two problems. my roommate had the heater staying on problem with his GM cube van. It was the relay. $70 fix at the Goodyears shop in Joplin.

In never figured out the one speed thing, i never tried the key too much trouble. I replaced two different components mentioned here and it still never did a high speed.

KC