2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 Blazer Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Starting Member
Colt45 is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 Blazer Brake Problem

(Skip on if you dont want to read "fluff")
Hello!
In my browsing for troubleshooting in the past, I have come across this site multiple times. This time, I finally decided to become a member so that I can more efficiently find the answers to my questions. Also, to hopefully help those with similar problems to what I have already dealt with (I know I have been frustrated).

I hope I am not posting a problem that has already been posted, I searched already and found many interesting answers to questions, but none of which answered my particular question (I may just suck at searching).

(Start here if you want to skip my introduction)

So, I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, 4WD, 4.3. I love my Blazer, but in truth it has been a giant money pit throughout its career as a transportation device (So I will have more posts, but we will just start with this problem). The brakes in my Blazer have always felt... spongy. A few months ago I replaced the Front Right wheel bearing, while I was in there I went ahead and replaced the front disc brakes as well. This seemed to possible help my stopping characteristics, but then again maybe not, it definitely wasn't a miracle cure. Moving on, I never had, and still don't usually have any problems with my brakes getting abnormally hot. The other week, however, I was going down a very steep hill in town here (which I normally avoid) and had one heck of a time making sure I stopped at stop lights. I was scared I wasn’t going to be able to stop a couple times, actually. When I got to my destination, my brakes had a quite strong smell to them, and my rims were burning hot.

Question being, what could cause spongy braking behavior and hot brakes? If there wasn't enough pressure, my brakes wouldn't get so hot. If there was too much pressure, they would stop better.

My only thoughts are that if the rear drums are not adjusted correctly, that they could possibly be making the fronts do all the work, causing excessive brake heat in the front, and lack of stopping power. I don't feel like I know enough about drum brakes (or indeed brakes in general) to just go in there and adjust things. I could just replace the drums and shoes, but money is tight and would rather not if they are not bad.

Anyone agree or disagree with my assessment? Any tips on playing with drum brakes?

Thanks,

Colten

Old 11-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member
mh86334 is on a distinguished road

Adjusting your rear brakes is a very simple thing. I jack up the rear, take off the tires and play with the adjustment screw until there is a slight drag when spinning the drum by hand...while you are in there, check your wheel cylinders for leakage, and the lines... if you need pictures or more in depth info, let me know. Its pretty easy and hard to mess up!
Blazers usually go through front brakes fairly quickly, as they do most of the work anyway.
How does the fluid in your master cylinder look? Is it all dark and dirty? If so, it's time to change it. Brake fluid absorbs water over time and old fluid can cause spongy brakes. You will at least need to bleed your brakes really well, to ensure you have no air in the system.