2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

check engine light at low gas levels

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default check engine light at low gas levels

I'll fill the tank and when it gets under 1/4 tank, the check engine light will go on. I've had the codes read and it comes back bank 1 fuel system too lean and too rich. I'll stop at the gas station and fill up and after about 15-30 minutes of driving, the check engine light goes off. Lately i have been hearing a rattling noise coming from underneath the truck. Sounds like a bolt rattling aorund in a tin can. Could it be the cat and could this be a contributor to the check engine light?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Won't know until you get the code read.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I'm at 1/2 tank right now and no check engine light. The last time it went off i was right at 1/4 tank. The last few times it went on, i filled up in the morning and i was out with someone all day and did a fair amount of driving. I'll watch and see when it comes on this time. The sound underneath is getting a little louder too. I have to get the pitman/idler arm replaced also before i make any six flags trips this year. Hopefully all this doesn't cost me too much. It doesnt idle any different or run and differently when the check engine light comes on. I turn the gas cap like 10 times when i put gas in, idk what is causing it to do that.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
blazin_j is on a distinguished road

Have you hit the cat and listened for a rattle?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Codes are stored in the history so you should be able to get it read. The person running the code reader will have to be proficient with it though...