2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 blazer, no power to fuel pump at the key

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:52 AM
billb123 is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 blazer, no power to fuel pump at the key

so, i may or may not have been shafted by a $50 eBay fuel pump (whole unit). my original unit, which was replaced about 2 years prior, sprung a pin hole leak in the clear flex tube, i tried to repair it using some "fuel injection" specific hose and clamps.. but either the top or bottom would pop off about 3 days after removing the tank and putting it back on as tight as i could get it, so i broke down and of the 3 parts stores in my town, autozone had a fuel sending unit in stock so i bought it, $214 worth, slapped it in and nothing..it didnt come on when i turned my key. the ebay pump did come on but didnt build any pressure.

so, i left the tank like it was and unplugged the pump and plugged in the ebay pump, turned the key, nothing. tried my original pump (that worked) and got nothing. so i checked the volts at the connector, got 8.87v to the purple wire, and the same to the gray. my brother said it should read 12v and to check my ground, not knowing where it was grounded, he said to cut and crimp the new connector that came with the pump and put the solid black to the frame. i wire brushed the frame, crimped an eyelet onto the black and self tapped the wire there, hooked the pump and turned the key on, nothing.

i read, i think on here, about the test lead under the hood on the drivers side by the brake booster, i found it, ran an inline fused length of wire with a 30amp fuse and the pump turned on without the key on, and that post said that the line from the pump to the relay, in the glove box im assuming, was good and the problem was somewhere else.. my question is, wheres the somewhere else? im a little mechanically inclined, but not when it comes to electricity..i know red is hot, and black is ground, and can hook a radio up, but relays..not so much. any help (visual would be better) would be much appreciated, i need this thing running so im not stranded by my mother in laws old malibu

Last edited by billb123; 05-29-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:40 AM
billb123 is on a distinguished road

i think i've narrowed it down further.

at the relay in the glove box, the lower right prong has power all the time, key on or off. the upper right prong is supposed to have power for a few seconds when the key is turned on, it does not. i was told, unsure how reliable the source, that that means that part of the vcm is bad. so if by chance i can get my hot dog fingers behind the glove box and unscrew that screw holding the relays there off, and connect a wire, and run it to the fuse box, to a wire thats only on when the key is turned on, would that make the pump run?