2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 blazer not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
sarahj is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 blazer not starting

Have a 96 Chevy blazer 4x4,its a 4.3 vortec anyway i just had my brother in law change my intake gasket and he got it all put back together and it wont start.He thinks the timing is off from when he put the distributer back on or something.Does anyone know the firing order for this? Thanks

Old 03-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarahj
Have a 96 Chevy blazer 4x4,its a 4.3 vortec anyway i just had my brother in law change my intake gasket and he got it all put back together and it wont start.He thinks the timing is off from when he put the distributor back on or something.Does anyone know the firing order for this? Thanks
Well, if it was starting before your BIL messed with it, then you know what the problem is: take it to a mechanic and make him pay for it.

That was just a joke, but as with all jokes, there is an element of seriousness. Hopefully he didn't disturb the distributor while working on it. On these trucks, it is a very sensitive piece of hardware. Unless you are either experienced or have done a LOT of research before touching it, I wouldn't advise screwing with it.

On the other hand, if it already wasn't starting before the work was done, there are MANY threads on this forum that discuss various starting issues. I have commented on a couple of them, as I have replaced the starter and fuel pump on my Blazer myself. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:08 AM

yes it was starting before he touched it..hes worked on alot of vehicles,hes going to have his friend that is a mechanic come and help him,I guess these arent his area of expertise.Thanks tho he was trying to save me some money

Old 03-06-2010, 12:22 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

pull number one spark plug, crank over by hand until piston is at top dead center,
figure out where #1 is on the cap, line the rotor and distributor up so rotor is pointing at number one when dropped into the engine,tighten everything up and hopefully she starts

Old 03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Q! I'm bookmarking this, in case I ever have to do it myself.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Isn't the firing order on cast into the intake manifold... GM always did this in the past. Also, google is your friend for this type of info. If he is pretty sure that the distributer is in wrong, try pulling it out and spinning it 180 degrees. Always be sure the distributer is seated correctly, on many engines it drives the oil pump. The distributer is not overly sensitive to work on, but the settings are sensitive. If it is off by a few degrees, it may not start. Does it backfire when turning over? Also, are you sure it is getting spark to the plugs? If there is any plugs that go to the distributer that are not connected, you will get no spark. I assume it has fuel? Look everything over again, it may be something simple. The simple problems can sometimes be the hardest to find.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:55 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

the cap is numbered you really dont need the firing order on these trucks just line up number 1 and make sure the wires go to the right plugs

Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Sadchevy is on a distinguished road

just a thought .......are all the wires connected and the distributor control module plugged in ? small plug on the back bottom of the distrubutor ?
and check to make sure the starter relay on the firewall above the firewall is plugged in and working .

Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 AM

thanks everyone for your posts,hes going to have his friend come over and help him with finding the top dead center,everythings plugged in and it doesnt backfire it sounds like its gonna start..but then of course the battery goes dead,he did have a hard time getting the fuel lines to go back in the holes without popping back up,he'll get it figured out eventually....