2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1997 Chevy Blazer Door Latch

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
James2113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1997 Chevy Blazer Door Latch

This is my first post and before i tell you my problem i just want to give you guys a quick background of how i feel about my blazer. I joined the army in 2002 And as a gift my dad gave me a 1995 Chevy blazer i loved this car. I always said when i get back i cant wait to drive it. 2 weeks before i got back the car was stolen from my dad. It was not until i was 25 that i got my 1997 chevy blazer and let me tell you nothing is worng with this car except fora few things but one in perticular that i would like to talk to you guys about to see if there is anything i can do. My Driver side door latch is really messed about the latch is in the locked position but the door is not locked from the inside i have to put a strap to hold the door closed which is really messed up i cant figure out how it got that way. but my moms bf who gave me the car said that it just happend one day. he also handed me a spring and said that it might have come from the door he does not know. can you guys give me any idea's on how to fix this problem so i can lock my driver side door properly and not have to hold it with a strap? I welcome any advice

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 1997 Chevy Blazer Door Latch

sounds like he handed you he spring that holds the door open. on the holding it closed, you might wanna take the door panel off and look to see if anything is broke.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It may just be the latch itself. If the latch plate is in the up (latched) position looking at the end of the door, have one person take a rather large screw driver and push towards the inside of the truck while another person holds the door in the open position and lifts up on the handle either on the inside or outside to release the latch.

As far as the spring, if you could take a picture and post it, that would help us determine its where-abouts.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 PM

Well i did try and pry the latch up with one of my moms bf long screw drivers but it did not work at all it was stuck
and as you asked i took a picture of the spring

Old 11-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that is the hinge spring. If you want to have an easy time of installing it, pick yourself up a light truck door hinge spring compressor from someplace like Eastwood.com.

As far as the latch is concerned, you may have to remove the whole latch mechanism itself which would require the removal of the door panel inside to get access to it. Unless something really broke inside, you should be able to pop it with a screw driver. Maybe try some WD40 to lubricate things then, if you are successful, follow that up with some lithium grease for some lasting lubrication.

One other hint that I can give to try to pop the latch is using a the screw driver and then a hammer to smack the screwdriver to give it some more oomph.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:29 PM

first off i want to say thank you so far for the help you have given me so far. My next question is i was gonna take off the panels to my doors anyway because i was gonna replace the speakers and i am sorry i might sound like a noob here thats because i am but how do i take off the doors?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

As far as the latch is concerned, you may have to remove the whole latch mechanism itself which would require the removal of the door panel inside to get access to it. Unless something really broke inside, you should be able to pop it with a screw driver. Maybe try some WD40 to lubricate things then, if you are successful, follow that up with some lithium grease for some lasting lubrication.
I had the same problem with my 99 s10. The door latch wouldn't lock when you shut the door. I ended up pulling out the latch and it looked a little rusted. So I cleaned it up, lubricated it, and it worked again.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: James2113

first off i want to say thank you so far for the help you have given me so far. My next question is i was gonna take off the panels to my doors anyway because i was gonna replace the speakers and i am sorry i might sound like a noob here thats because i am but how do i take off the doors?
IIRC there are 2 bolts/screws in the arm rest on the door. Then there are a bunch of clips going around the door. Just take out the two bolts. then slowly and easily pull the door panel off. It helps if you can squeeze your fingers behind the panel little by little and hold the plastic clip to the panel.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 PM

First i would like to say thank you all for your help and secound i have a question.
When i took off the door panel i saw like a brown paper on the dooe itseld is it ok to
tear some of that paper off?