2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer 4x4 no start.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Ruckusnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Blazer 4x4 no start.

Hello all, thanks first off for the wealth of knowledge here.
Anyhow, 98 Blazer, will not start. Origional was marginal but the level sender was bad so we replaced the fuel pump with a delphi unit, and a new fuel filter, still nada. It will fire with a shot of ether, but won't stay running, so I'd say there is spark. Thing is, the owner has let it sit for "he thinks" 3 years without starting. What's next. I'm doing some searching , and have read down the fuel system troubleshooter, still nothing sticks out. What would be your next step?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ruckusnuts
Hello all, thanks first off for the wealth of knowledge here.
Anyhow, 98 Blazer, will not start. Origional was marginal but the level sender was bad so we replaced the fuel pump with a delphi unit, and a new fuel filter, still nada. It will fire with a shot of ether, but won't stay running, so I'd say there is spark. Thing is, the owner has let it sit for "he thinks" 3 years without starting. What's next. I'm doing some searching , and have read down the fuel system troubleshooter, still nothing sticks out. What would be your next step?

Thanks in advance.
Assume, then, the fuel pump is running, pressure meets the criteria including leakdown specs.

If the thing has been sitting that long, you could just take the short cut we don't recommend normally. Change/upgrade everything in the plenum.

To check for fuel.. crank engine while pumping accelerator for about thirty seconds. Pull plugs check for wet electrodes. If dry then likely gummed up injectors / poppets.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Ruckusnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Assume, then, the fuel pump is running, pressure meets the criteria including leakdown specs.

If the thing has been sitting that long, you could just take the short cut we don't recommend normally. Change/upgrade everything in the plenum.

To check for fuel.. crank engine while pumping accelerator for about thirty seconds. Pull plugs check for wet electrodes. If dry then likely gummed up injectors / poppets.
By upgrading everything are you meaning spider, injectors, pressure regulator? Anything else I'm missing? Can any of it be cleaned to working order? Thanks pettyfog!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Starting Member
acdc is on a distinguished road

What the Ruck,

I just had this problem. just changed water pump, filled up tank drove home left for two days AND...

98 blazer no start.

replaced battery. replaced crankshaft sensor. nothing. nothing. crank crank crank crank, glug glug. one pop with starting fluid. Tested for spark tested. tested for bad wires. tested fuel pressure. check. check. check. all good.

lastly I ordered up a MPFI upgrade to our SCFI on 98's. took a while from gmpartsdirect but, once I cleaned upper manifold, installed spyder bracket, gaskets, and MPFI. First try beautiful start. I also replaced cap and rotor while at it. Really cool to get it running. I hope this helps as we have the same rig.

here is a good link to show some pictures of what to do
http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou...g%20Poppet.htm

just noticed this was a 2006 posting anyways I hope it helps whoever.
Replace the old poppets worked for me.

Last edited by acdc; 01-03-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: add link to helpful article