2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1998 blazer 4WD coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Starting Member
Hey_duck is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 blazer 4WD coolant leak

so long story short, I got this blazer, drove fine didn't notice the radiator was cracked till it blew up, so my uncle and I replaced the radiator but still had a leak, facing the car it was a nice straight light down from the left side (where the reservoir and drain plug are) so I tell you what I'm testing all these connections yada yada, it only leaks under pressure in radiator, so I notice the drain plug is sitting on like a 45 degree angle, I crawled under the truck with a wrench and bent it till it was vertical and I heard a locking sound, so really my question is do you think that was the leaking problem? The drain plug not all the way locked in and causing a small leak under pressure when I drove it and stopped??

on a side note, I stuck the key in the door to unlock yesterday and now the lock is jammed? Won't rotate clockwise or counter clock wise , so pretty much leave door unlocked or open passenger and unlock with the lock from inside, any idea on that, all help is much appreciated

Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
stonum is on a distinguished road

All I know is that if you can afford an authentic GM radiator from the GM dealer, do it. I ended up returning the radiator I got from oreilly's, and bought one from the GM dealer. The GM radiator kicks *** compared to the aftermarket radiator. I could tell when I removed it from it's box that it even looked 10 times better quality than the orielly's radiator. The GM radiator doesn't even have that useless drain plug anymore. (The short little pipe that sticks out of the radiator where the drain plug used to be is still there on the new GM radiator, but it's not drilled through to the radiator, so it needs no plug in the end of it)... (Mines a '99', so I would think it would be same as yours)

Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
JayArr is on a distinguished road

The drain plug has an o-ring on it that gets hard and brittle when it gets old, next time you have an hour drain the rad and pull the plug all the way out and put a new 2 cent o-ring on it with some new lube.

The lock cylinder is easy to change, they are about $10 each at Rock Auto, sold in pairs. They come with two new keys but if you're handy you can take the old one apart and key the new cylinder to use your original key.