2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 4wd Not Working Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member
The Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The link in your previous post (CLICK HERE) has the wiring diagram for the switch to the TCCM. That post also lists the resistance values for the switch when each button is pushed.

Here are the main connector pinouts:
Saw (and tested) the resistances, but I totally missed the schematic
I'll tear that apart tomorrow.

I tested the the voltage of the pins at the connecter, and this is what I found:

E1 - 0.23v
E3 - 6.57v
E4 - 6.57v
E9 - Jumps around anywhere from .04 to .72v
E10 - 14.0v
E16 - (can't get the ground to "beep")
F1 - 6.45v
F2 - 6.47
F3 - 12.05v
F4 - 14.06v
F7 - 13.69

The other pins that are not listed all read 0v.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That ground should be straight to the firewall. I would start there. If it is corroded or otherwise compromised, it could be the entire cause of your situation.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
That ground should be straight to the firewall. I would start there. If it is corroded or otherwise compromised, it could be the entire cause of your situation.
Kinda what I was thinkin. I'll jump at and give it a whirl.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member

Still nothin Double tested the new ground with the multimeter and the ground is good, but nothin changed on the dash or made any sort of noise

What about the 4 wire connector (orange/black/red/black)?

Old 10-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

Alrighty, cleaning the connectors on the TCCM must have done something because the scanner read the transfer case codes. It's throwing 2 codes:

C0308 - Motor A/B Circuit Low
C0323 - T-Case Lock Circuit Low

What should I do from here?

Last edited by The Beast; 10-06-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one of those codes:
C0323 - Transfer Case Lock Circuit Low

I'll see what I can do about digging up the other later. I have some things to attend to this afternoon.

*EDIT*
Here's the other one:
C0308 - Motor A/B Circuit Low

Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Beginning Member
gusszgs is on a distinguished road

Hey Nick, did you ever get your issues with the 4x4 solved?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
99zr2blazer is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my zr2 blazer I put 2 encoder motors in the truck and I got the tccm wiring diagram and tested resistance. I cleaned terminals in it and even checked all of the vac lines. After 2 years of screwing with it on and off I finally ordered some terminals for the connectors (they are made by delphi-packard) I had to have an IT friend of mine get them for me, and we repinned the 6 prong terminal that plugs in to the encoder motor and it fixed my problem. Good luck with yours I just figured after all that crap I should try to help someone else who sounds like they have the same prob because no one had an answer for me. By the way mine was sending the same 2 codes on and off.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member

Awesome, thanks a ton Kyle!

Sorry, been super busy the past month. I've got the truck up on jack stands now. All wires/terminals going to the encoder motor look perfect. It looks like the encoder motor itself may have been hit though. The actual aluminum case was cracked and broken, as well as the black piece that houses the 6 terminal plug. Going to pick up a new one from O'Reilly here shortly.

Would the broken cases cause the 2 DTCs that the truck was throwning though, since they were both electrical problem codes? I might cry if this doesn't fix the issue.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member

Replaced the encoder motor and now auto 4wd, 2 high, and 4 high work! However 4 low does not work. When pressed it flashes for awhile and then switches back to either 2 high or 4 high.....

Quick Reply: 1999 4wd Not Working Issues