2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 blazer odometer rollback

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 PM
jappleseed is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 blazer odometer rollback

i suspect the odometer on my 1999 blazer has been rolled back.

i thought this practice was eliminated by the electronic odometers with digital readout?

is an odometer rollback possible in my 1999 blazer LS,2 door,auto ?

if yes, how widespread is this practice? how difficult to do?

thank in advance for any information

Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

It is difficult for you and me. But not so much for those who know how. I have looked at 2 vehicles this last year where the odo's were rolled back. This was evident from Carfax/Autocheck reports.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
babydeuce is on a distinguished road

the mileage memory is contained in the cluster. Replacing the cluster with a lower mileage one is the only way most people can do it. If you have a tech II, you can reprogram the mileage on the cluster.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Beginning Member
litterbox99 is on a distinguished road

You could identify the memory device on the cluster PCB. Use an Eprom reader
and dump the contents. Convert contents from HEX to Decimal. Search the dump
and look for a string that matches your actual mileage. Once you know the memory
offset(s) for your string location, replace with desired value (don't forget to convert
it back to HEX) and rewrite the device. This assumes the manufacturer stores
the mileage string as/is, some may XOR - AND or manipulate the string. If so
you'll need to know how they 'encrypt' the value.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

You could identify the memory device on the cluster PCB. Use an Eprom reader
and dump the contents. Convert contents from HEX to Decimal. Search the dump
and look for a string that matches your actual mileage. Once you know the memory
offset(s) for your string location, replace with desired value (don't forget to convert
it back to HEX) and rewrite the device. This assumes the manufacturer stores
the mileage string as/is, some may XOR - AND or manipulate the string. If so
you'll need to know how they 'encrypt' the value.
Like I said easy for some......;>) Probably not stored in an EPROM but may be EEPROM or flash. It also supposes that the MFGR is using over the counter devices and are marked as such. If all there is, is a big chip, then ID'ing that part will be hard to read properly. Even more difficult if it is an MCU with embedded EEPROM and no identifying marks.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Never seen a component in a vehicle that was "over the counter devices"....with standard part number....always MFGR part numbers.

As stated above: anyone with a Tech II can change the odometer. There might be a date stored as to when the last change was made, which again would require a Tech II to read.

jappleseed: are you finding parts worn-out that should not be?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM
jappleseed is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer odometer rollback

hello everyone: thank you for reply's.

lanny,yes to your question .

door hinges,fuel pump,driver side power window,o2 sensor, engine thermostat,front brake hoses,rear differential repair,air conditioning compressor replaced ,2 ball joints replaced.other two ball joints loose. and other parts replaced i probably forgot.

blazer had 98k when i purchased 1 year ago. has 99k now. too busy repairing it to put many miles on it.

the tittle check,when i purchased,showed no odometer discrepancies.

are blazers of this vintage and this mileage high maint vehicles??

thanks to all the reply's and information..........larry.....

Last edited by jappleseed; 01-28-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Starting Member

I purchased a 2000 Jimmy last Oct with 89,xxx verified miles. So far I have done driver's door hinge, power mirror switch, PCV valve, fuel pump regulator, fuel pump, water pump, vac hoses, spark plugs, rotor, cap, wires, heater hoses, bypass hose, radiator hoses, rad cap, thermostat, thermostat cover, MAP sensor seal, fuel filter, seat back lever, tires, 2 speaker repairs, remount power window mechanism and a few other things I can't remember either. Not to mention the many unrecorded hours of labor. Still have a bunch of stuff to do to get it up to snuff. (visors, cruise control switch, power sunroof, new dash cover, receive hitch, etc,) Once done, I hope to deal with only general maintenance. I have to keep telling myself, in spite of the low mileage, it is still 15 years old.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Yep, things just wear out. I've got a 98 with 83,xxx, another 98 with 96,xxx, and a 99 with 122,xxx. All of the items you mentioned have had issues on one, if not all three of them! The usual weekend question is what do I want to replace and on which one...

Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member
babydeuce is on a distinguished road

As stated, most of what the OP listed are worn out at approx 8X,XXX miles if the vehicle had poor maintenance or was abused by possible previous owners. I have 3 ZR2 Blazers, 99/2000/2003 with mileage ranging from 103K to 190K. some required more work than others, but all needed 4wd work, suspension, and fuel/distributor work...every S10 series needs door bushings replaced....lol

Quick Reply: 1999 blazer odometer rollback