2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 4 Door 4WD LS 4.3L battery dead and/or is it alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM
wookard is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1995 4 Door 4WD LS 4.3L battery dead and/or is it alternator?

Hi everyone,

I got a blazer last week with 200k on it and I had it inspected. The mechanic said I need a new altenator and had to refill the batter with distilled water. The voltage was staying around 11 volts as it was.

I filled up the battery and drove it for a bit and it was going above 14 up to 17 volts. Unfortunately I think I left the lights on ( I have almost no hearing in my left ear ) and might not have noticed the sound.

Before attempting a boost there was no turn over at all. The battery was totally dead. Now apparently my brother had a friend boost it, but I don't think he let it run long enough as the next day the battery was totally dead again. The battery is at the 9 volt range and when I have the door open it just makes a small tick tick tick constant. I can just barely lock / unlock the doors. So I think it has a bit of a charge and I am wondering if it could be the alternator. I can get a rebuilt alternator for about $200 at Part Source and could possibly look at a few other places in my area.

I picked up a plug in battery jumper from Wal-Mart and charged it to green. The problem is, I have no clue where I should hook the black/ground to on the vehicle. As it says to connect to a bare metal part of the frame, engine block instead of the negative terminal of the battery.

400 Amp Jump Starter, Auto Batteries | Walmart Canada Online Shopping=

Is there are place someone can recommend to place the black plug in the engine bay so I can try the battery jumper again.

Is it possible that it is just simply the alternator that has finally died or should I try another boost if I can't get the portable booster pack to work and let it run for like 30 minutes?

Thanks for any information!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wookard
rebuilt alternator for about $200 at Part Source and could possibly look at a few other places in my area.

I picked up a plug in battery jumper from Wal-Mart and charged it to green. The problem is, I have no clue where I should hook the black/ground to on the vehicle. As it says to connect to a bare metal part of the frame, engine block instead of the negative terminal of the battery.

Is there are place someone can recommend to place the black plug in the engine bay so I can try the battery jumper again.

Is it possible that it is just simply the alternator that has finally died or should I try another boost if I can't get the portable booster pack to work and let it run for like 30 minutes?

Thanks for any information!
WHOAAAAA!!!!!!!! $200 for a REBUILT?!?! thats insane. i just looked up on autozone.com a new one for $144. so yeah....dont buy that one. the reason it was over charging was because the voltage regulator has burned up. just get a new alternator because you have to take the whole thing apart to change that one part and its just easier to swap the whole thing.
as for the battery, its smoked. you need a new one.

the booster pack, which i have 3 of, just hook it up straight to the battery. its not going to hurt anything.

once you get a new alternator and battery and get it all installed, start the truck and let it run for about 15-20 mins to make sure everything works. and you should be back on the road.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the info. My brother came home and we tried hooking right to the battery like you suggested. The warning lights come up for a bit on the dash and it barely gets to the point of cranking. I think it does need an alternator and a new battery. He just can't believe it was working the other day and going above 14 volts and that it won't work now after it ran out of juice during the night.

When it is trying to turn over and definetely has power but wont crank all the way, that is the alternator from what I understand not doing its job. It is a pain as we are trying to get a new house next month and he just got it for $2000 and now it needs extra work.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

But if all the vehicle requires is an alternator and a battery....$2000 is a pretty good deal!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM
spittybays

Not sure how handy you are but if the alternator is not making bearing noise its the voltage reg or bridge rectifier. There like half hour to do both. Youtube rebuild alternator. Battery is most likely fried but they will load test them for free just charge overnight before you bring it in.

I'm 51 and have never purchased a new or rebuilt alternator and only one starter but I like to tinker.

Not sure these are the exact ones you need. You will have to research yourself, but I think they are.

CS130 CS121 Delco Alternator Kit Rectifier Regulator Chevy Pontiac Buick 86 96 | eBay

You might have a 130D

Last edited by spittybays; 04-03-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Well the impatient brother of mine really did a number on the electrical! I asked him to wait until I had a day off with nicer weather to let me look at it. He borrowed an incorrect ratchet set and stripped one of the front bolts for the Alternator. He took all the wires off the bolts and the clip as well.

So I have a perfectly brand new Alternator sitting in the truck just waiting patiently to be installed by a mechanic.

I put the wires back on as far as I can tell in the correct locations. Is anyone around with the same vehicle that can take a few pics of the wiring on the alternator? There is a few wires and I want to be certain they are correct. From what I see on the wiring diagrams it looks OK. I also checked all the fuses in the driver side of the truck and they are perfect. The battery connectors are all clean as well.

I put a brand new battery in and it is reading ~ 12.7 volts at the poles. I checked all the cables that I could with my multimeter from the battery to the alternator. My neighbour is parked about a foot away from my passenger side door, so it will be impossible to get at the Starter to check if there is power at this time.

Could it simply be a dead Starter? I will have to get it towed someone in town and there is about 7 shops within 5 minutes of me. Some are the 'big name' shops like Midas and Canadian Tire and then there is the mom and pop type.

Any recommendations for a place to have it looked at in Calgary, Alberta? I really need this truck running as I am looking for an IT job and many require a car!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

alternator has 3 bolts. one in rear,2 in front. one red wire which hooks to the post on the back of the alternator,and a plug in that plugs into the side of the alt. if you have to have a mechanic do it,take it to a mom and pop shop. They usually dont charge as much,and wont push other things on you to get fixed.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes that is how I have the wiring as of now. As well as a ground cable going to the case of the Alternator. I figure it is right, but I am positive the Starter is done. I remember when I first got the truck it would take a few seconds to get it to turn over.