2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer ZR2 will not start, Immobilizer, fuel pump rela, fuel pump or fuel filte?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Starting Member
TheSaint is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Blazer ZR2 will not start, Immobilizer, fuel pump rela, fuel pump or fuel filte?

The car is a 1999 Blazer ZR that have rolled s 197 000 km or about 122410 miles i have convered this correct.
When i bought the car this spring the car had not been used for about a little over 2 years.

But after i bought the Blazer have used my Blazer ZR2 almost every day until a few days ago when 1 noticed that the right rear tire needed to get some air in it so i was thinking of drive up to the tire shop to check if i had a puncture and when i tried to start the car it would not start.

I have checked that when the immobilizer/passlock is off by using the the keylesss remote the scurety light comes on when i turn on the ignition but the securety lights stops/turns off after about 2 or 3 seconds.

If i lock the car using the keyless remote so the immobilizer is actvated the securety light stays on when i turn on the ignition and the securety light stays on.

So am i correct in thinking that there is nothing wrong with the mmobilizer?

I have measured every fuse in the engine compartment and the drivers side fuse box in the dash without taking the fuses out, but i used the "buzzer" signal/noise on my multimeter signal when i checked if the fuses was intact. All fuses seems to be intact

I have not checked if the fuel pump relay and fuel pump itself. Nor the the fuel filter

I can say that i never have noticed that i can hear the fuel pump starting when i turn on the ignition. I did not notice any sound from the fuel pump when the car ran okay either.

I suppose the fuel pump is going to start and stay on when i put the ignition on?

Will i hear the fuel pump run if i have a friend turn on the ignition if i stand behind the car?

I can tell that the weather up here in northern Europe have changed from rainy days to cold days with minus 10 degrees and back to rainy days again if that can have anything to do with the car not starting?

I was thinking of ordering a new fuel pump relay and fuel filter which i never have changed on this car.

I have had the car behave like this once before and that was because i high pressured washed/cleaned the engine compartment.
When i washed the engine compartment i let the car run on idle but that did not help since the engine stopped and was impossible to start after cleaning.

What i did then was to dry off the connectors that goes to the ECU/computer and wait half an hour and after i did this the car started right up and have been okay until i noticed that i might have a puncture.

The reason i mention the weather changing from cold to mild days with rain and back to cold weather again is because of the problems i had when i cleaned the engine compartment and water came on the ECU/computer and connectors.

Any here have an idea what might cause this?

Also am i correct that the immobilizer/passlock seems to be okay and not cause this?

Last edited by TheSaint; 11-22-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

What exactly happens when you turn the key? Does it crank but not start? My guess is the fuel pump had gone bad on you only because it's the most common no start issue that i see but we need to know what's happening when you turn the key. If it cranks but won't start then you need to read up on a fuel pressure and leak down test and do that.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Starting Member

I forgot to tell that the car is an European spec if it matters.

The car cranks fine but there is no sign that the engine will start.
Nothing like when the immobilier/passlock is activated because at least then you could hear the car was about to start but stopped because of no fuel

Is the fuel pump located under car on the the drivers side/left side door?
If so i can loosen the fuel lines before or after the filter and check if there is any fuel pressure

Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yes that's where the fuel tank is located but doing what you described isn't going to do anything but make a mess! You need to read how to do a proper fuel pressure test and do it the correct way. A quick search on here will find you the procedure.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Starting Member

I know i will have to check the fuel pressure since i can hear the pump start when i turn on the ignition and sto not long after it started. I suppose that it stops because that the fuel pump have built up enough pressure and that is also why i can hear the fuel pump when i turn off the ignition?

I suppose the pump is not supposed to be on all the time when only the ignitionn is on?

From what i have heard the fuel pressure is supposed to be 60 psi?

I have boyght a new fuel filter so i will try to check the fuel pressure after the i have replaced the fuel filter. I will put on a rubber hose on the "towards engine" side of the filter since my fuel pressure manometer does not have an end with threads so i can screw it on where the black cap sits close to the distributor in the engine compartment.

Any here that knows the size of the threads on the end that screws on where the fuel pressure oulet is located close to the distributot? I would also like to see a picture on how the "nut" from the fuel pressure gauge looks inside

The picture below shows where the fuel pressure gauge screws on and also the "nut" i would like to know the size of the threads and how it looks inside of the "nut"
Or i will do as i said and check the fuel pressure by using a 3/8" rubber hose with the pressure gauge at the end of the rubber hose as shown in the picture to the right

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Blazer ZR2 will not start, Immobilizer, fuel pump rela, fuel pump or fuel filte?-what-size-threads-how-does-inside-look-nut-fuel-pressure-ga.jpg   1999 Blazer ZR2 will not start, Immobilizer, fuel pump rela, fuel pump or fuel filte?-check-fuel-pressure-putting-3-8-rubber-hose-outlet-fuel-filter.jpg  

Last edited by TheSaint; 11-24-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Starting Member

Do you agree that the no start problem does not have anything to do with the immobilizer?

When i use the keyless remote and open the doors, and turn on the ignition the securety light comes on and stays lit for about 2 to 3 seconds before it turns off. Note that the securety light is constant lit and not any flashing

But if i lock the car susing the keyless remote so the immobilizer is activated and turn the ignition on the securety light stays on lit all the time until i turn off the ignition. Constant lit securety light and no flashing with the immobilizer activated.

I did not notice how the securety light behaved before i got this issue.

My main worry was that this could be an immobilizer problem

I think that it seems that the immobilizer is working as it is supposed to do and that the immobilizer is not causing the start problem

Do you agree with me that the immobilizer does not look to be the problem and that the immobilizer is working as it is supposed to do?

Old 11-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Starting Member
snuffy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Do you agree that the no start problem does not have anything to do with the immobilizer?

When i use the keyless remote and open the doors, and turn on the ignition the securety light comes on and stays lit for about 2 to 3 seconds before it turns off. Note that the securety light is constant lit and not any flashing

But if i lock the car susing the keyless remote so the immobilizer is activated and turn the ignition on the securety light stays on lit all the time until i turn off the ignition. Constant lit securety light and no flashing with the immobilizer activated.

I did not notice how the securety light behaved before i got this issue.

My main worry was that this could be an immobilizer problem

I think that it seems that the immobilizer is working as it is supposed to do and that the immobilizer is not causing the start problem

Do you agree with me that the immobilizer does not look to be the problem and that the immobilizer is working as it is supposed to do?

I just went out and checked mine because i never realy paid attention. It did the same as yours. Unlock the doors, turn key on and securety light was on for about 3 seconds then went off.

So i do think your is working properly.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for checking the imbolizer for snuffy

Now i know that the imbolizer on my car is working as it is supposed to.

Forgot to say that before no start issue happened i was going to rev the engine from the enginebay and when i put my hand in to rev the engine i got a really high voltage shock from the ignition coil which i really felt

Note that i was not touching the ignition coil but my hand was only close to the coil.
I have new "used" ignition coil but i have not changed it and i have not checked the fuel pressure yet either

This is because it is winter outside and freezing cold

I talked to the previous owner and he told me that he ad a garage to replace the fuel pump on the car

Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Starting Member
Smile

I was sure that the problem was the fuel pump/no fuel pressure, but it turned out that the problem was a little condensation that had accumulated in the fuel filter

Last edited by TheSaint; 03-28-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Starting Member

Here is an update of why the car did not start

First of all i was 100 percent sure that the fuel pump was broken and that was the the fuel pump could not build enough pressure to get the engine to start

Early this spring i had not fixed the car yet but i was checking some electric connectors in the engine bay and i was also charging the battery after a long winter with the car just standing and not being used due to the fact i did not start
After the battery i thought i might try to crank the engine and to my suprise the engine started right away

The car have been working for about a 1 and a half month without any problems,

About a week ago i was going to take the car to put some fuel in it since it was on the fuel had been on the reserve a couple of days

When tried to start the car it did not start againg and it behaved like it did earlier. No fuel pressure at all when i put the ignition on and bled the fuel line shraeder valve just a little squirt of fuel came and that was all.

When trying to find the cause to why the car did not start i tokk off all electric connectors and cleaned them
I even took off the 4 connectors to the ECU placed on the right hand side in the engine bay but the car would not start.

Yesterday i changed the fuel filter on the car since i was sure that the fuel filter was clogged(this means laying on your back under the car and since my car is an ZR2 i have to take off some plastic undershields and also some suspension parts are in the way so this job does not tempt me at all. Not to mention how hard the fuel line from the tank to the filter was stuck)

To my surprice the fuel filter seemed to be okay since i could blow thru it without any problem but since i had a new filter i changed it

I went out just now to check if the car would start and off course it started straight away

I wonder if the fuel filter may have been the problem all along?