2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PASSLOC- Security light trouble

Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member
piedmontfbody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PASSLOC- Security light trouble

Inconsistently and intermittently my Blazer won't start. I am pretty sure it is Passloc related. It will turn over, start, then die immediately. Security light comes on. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then it will crank and run fine. The security light will sometimes stay on, sometimes go off after it starts.

Background-- there was an aftermarket alarm system on it when I bought it. I could never figure out how to work it and it kept going off anyway. I took it out and connected all the cut wires.

It hasn't done this in quite some time (3 months or more) but this is my wife's vehicle and I don't want her stranded somewhere with the kiddos. It's also annoying! I think it may be shorting out somewhere- possible?

Question-- can I bypass the whole stinkin' system somehow?

2000 LS 4 door 4.3L 4x4. No factory keyless, if that matters.

Thanks
Steve

Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: PASSLOC- Security light trouble

The problem is your ignition switch. As I am currently in Belgium, I cannot dive into it for you, but I promise you, if you run a search, you will find the information you require and detailed instructions on replacement of the ignition switch as I have posted them before.

Good luck and let us know if you have further questions.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member

I went out and continuously started and shut off the ignition switch until it wouldn't start again. It took about 6 tries. So I definitely think you are correct that it is the switch. I'll give it a try. I ordered the part and it should be here before the weekend. $68 with 2 day shipping.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Now on to the fuel sender, ball joints, heater problems...

Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah sounds just like when my ignition switch failed but yah mine was at the dealer for the repair when that happened since I needed it fixed quick. That was like 400 installed so yah you save a bunch. If you need to move the truck to a different spot in the yard or something you can try hitting the panel you need to take off to change the switch. Thats how I started mine a couple times when it was bad.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member

Just finished up with changing the switch. Not too difficult, took about 2 hours. Hope this is the fix.

Couple of tips I thought I would pass along...

1. there is a little screw that holdsthe steering column top cover on.
2. you have to pry out the tilt steering lever ****. Use a small screw driver and stick it in the area behind the **** and pry it out.
3. to remove the connector on the back of the ignition switch lock , release the 'lock' on the connector and turn it clockwise.
4. don't freak out when the connector doesn't look like the existing one. There are 2 additional connectors that slide in on the side of the big connector.
5. you must align the gear on the switch lock (where the key goes in) with the gear in the ignition switch. The best way to do this is to find the larger tooth in the ignition switch (rotate the geat with your thumb).Turn the ignition switch lock toward you. Slide in the switch.

I didn't think to take pictures until I was almost finished, but if you have to do this repair, you'll see what I am talking about.

Also had to replace my alternator today $114 Autozone Duralast Reman.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update and the helpful tips! It is members like you who keep this forum a valuable source for information! Keep it up!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Beginning Member

This seems to be the fix! Haven't had one problem since the swap.

Thanks!!!