2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1st to 2nd gear shifts....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
fun2b1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st to 2nd gear shifts....

k I do have a couple of other posts here(p0300, abs brake ses)but they're not related hence the sepearte posts... (plus for ease of searching)...

this one happens to be for a shifting issue... I noticed when I first started drivingit it seemed to "FIRMLY" engage into drive/reverse and what not... but when I stepped on the gas from a stopitalmost feels sluggish and seems like ithas ato rev a little longer to go into 2nd gear.. then lunges ( feels like the damn thing is leaping forward) into 2nd... 2-3 and 3-4 are absolutley SEEMLESS but thatfirst to second gear... I unno I think it's something simple but I don't want it to shred the tranny I have had enough tranny issues henceme now owning a blazer... I did see somewhere that a GM valve body update was done at somepoint??? is this somethign I can jsut buy online or somewhere.. since its gettin warmer I can finally stop taking it to shops( DAMN I NEEDA BUILD A GARAGE).. and thanx to a couple of other posts on here I'm pretty damn confidenti can change out a valve body.. and while I'm there i plan on putting in a drain plug for the tranny pan...

and I gutta ask.. WHY THE **** DID THEY NEVER DO IT .. it's ALWAYS the biggest mess and pain in the *** to drain the fluid... why not make it simpler.. remote filter(they did it with the engine) and a plug... it jsut seems like common sense.. then again I guess I coulda jsut answered my own question...lol

OH and while I'm at it.. does anyone on this site have a FSM for the 1995 blazer on pdf??? I have one for the intrepid I used to own.. and I found it on the intrepid.net forum.. jsut wondering if anyone knows where I can grab one.. or if anyone has one i could d/l from them.. thnx for all the help in advance:-)

btw 1995 Chevy S-10 blazer 4X4 Automatic with pushbutton 4X4

Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Default RE: 1st to 2nd gear shifts....

so NOONE has ANY ideas on ANY of my posts?!?!?!?![sm=feedback.gif]

Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Will, you really have to be more patient. Sometimes it takes awhile for somebody to get to a particular post and read it.
As for the factory service manual, go to Ebay and do a search. Manuals for our truck show up there from time to time. Regarding the possible upgrade to the transmission, did you look in the technical service bulletin (TSB's) listing in the header above this thread?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to have a trans shop take a look at it to see what is going on. Sounds like a sticking 1-2 solenoid or maybe an accumulator problem, but automatic transmissions are quite complex and VERY difficult to diagnose over long distances. I'll see if I can turn up any TSBs on these symptoms later tonight or this weekend.

No need for the foul language... Auto transmissions have been without a drain plug for a VERY long time. It wasn't until the heavier duty auto's came out that really any of them had a drain plug. One reason I can see for this is that most people do not know how to properly fill a transmission. There is no set amount of fluid that comes out when draining a pan and it isn't as easy to refill as the engine oil, nor does it need the maintenance that an engine needs. Couple that with the fact that overfilling the transmission can have some bad consequences...

As far as the service manual goes:
1995 S/T Service Manual - eBay.com
There are many more as well including the supplements. For a complete list of suplements offered, visit HelmInc.com.

I have yet to find a PDF copy of manuals such as DI.net has.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM

yeah but I'm cheap if i can get a pdf for "free" then why not... lol and it wasnt more of a rant not necessarily intentional foul language.. and it really is fairly easy.. anyone that changes their own oil I'm sure has changed their tranny filter at some point.. and realized how messy it was.. at whichpoint a plug would definately come in handy... as far as taking it to a transmission shop if anythign I think I'm doing the next rebuild myself.. the whole reason i have this truck is I took it to a tranny shop to have a 94 intrepid es 42le tranny rebuilt after the 7th time repairing it and 3 time REBUILDING.. the engine mysteriously blew... I check the dipstick its dry... ( i did an oilchange in jan) it NEVER burned oil or leaked before... when it left there it had some light hissingnoisesthat I thoguth were a vacuum leak.. nope.. guess it was thebearings frying themselves... my only idea is that the morons there drained the fluid so I'd stop coming back... well they won...lol.. but yeah I started working on car so I didn't have to pay the high labor fees.. i now work on cars cuz i at least have half a ****** (censored for your approval)clue as to what I'm doing... I jsut ask for info or leads to the right direction from anyone else possibly having the same issues....or hell even the wrong direction is fine but it's a start....

btw the trans shifts a bit smoother once warmed up.. but still lunges just not as hard...

Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Been there done that with my old '94 ES. The 42LE is a HORRIBLE transmission!! A simple speed sensor failure can result in destruction of the transmission without warning!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM

well my case was different it was the tranny was shot (rebuilt) then "solenoid pack" then after thenit was a "sensor".. then a gear had cracked trashing the case(i TRULY think was the original problem). then output sensor, then solenoid pack, then input sensor that didnt fix the problem. so the LAST complete tear down and complete rebuild(baiscally a reman) new everything. which the tranny was beautiful after but the engine seems to have a hiss... then yeah.. :-(<<

as for the blazer the shiftsfrom park to revers and drive are firm.. (you KNOW its shifting) but not banging into gear.. it just seems like it wants to go forward backward sideways.. it doesnt care.. but that 1st to 2nd is where my issue is..

Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Starting Member
klote82 is an unknown quantity at this point

my truck does same thing. it feels like a lunge into second gear. going from park to 1st or the higher gears it shifts fine. looks like an older blazer problem.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I could not find any TSBs on this problem. It almost sounds like the 1-2 shift solenoid may be sticking on.

The 1-2 solenoid is on in 1st gear, off in 2nd & 3rd, and on in 4th. The 2-3 solenoid is on in 1st & 2nd and off in 3rd & 4th. If the solenoid was having trouble returning to the off position, it may cause a delayed/harsh 1-2 shift.

I'm grasping at straws here though...

*EDIT* - I did just find some references to the following problem(s): cause/solution:
1-2 Shift shudder at WOT; delayed or abnormal 1-2 shift: 1-2 accumulator piston cracked or stuck cocked in the bore. Easy fix in the pan.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:43 AM

I unno about that one.. I read somewhere about the valve body update is there anyway to tell if its been done..(production #s)... the only reason I'm kinda leaning away from your suggestion is it's not at wide open throttle.. its at ANY STEADY throttle.. say I put it down 3/4 then let off @ about 1600-1800rpm... it seems so shift smoothER... but any steady acceleration.. and itlunges( picture theblazer trying to makeone hop like a bunny....lol).. otherwise... the car literally shifts SEEMLESSLY. its insane how smooth it'll shift between 2-3 and 3-4... but that first gear from park... seems sluggish and lunges into second.... any other ideas without the shop or a manual...lol