2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'95 Front bumper and fender removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 AM
marcnet450 is on a distinguished road

Where do I start to remove the front bumper on my 4X4 Blazer?

Need to replace both fenders on my 4X4 Blazer? Any hassles? How long does it take? How many bolts?

I suppose I need to start by removing the hood then the 2 bolts holding the fender at the rear end of the engine compartment . . . then all the bolts around the wheel well then . . . ?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

I had to rebuild my Jimmy in Feb from a front accident. Hood fender and bumper replaced.

first the bumper. You'll need to get the grill off. There will be two hex bolts on the top of the bumper that bolt to the frame mounts. Then there will be two on the bottom. and there is a bracket that goes at an angle from the frame to the bumper. 15mm I think. Now I didn't have to worry about the skins, and the blazer is slightly different than the Jimmy so that might take some time. Not major just a time killer. Pull out the bulbs from the directionals and then pull the bumper off the truck.

The fender is a little more intense. there are I think 4 bolts that hold the fender on to the radiator frame. They are all 13 mm. there are I think 6 holding the fender to the wheel well. and two more on the back you will have to get at by openning the door. And then two on the underside at the back of the fender. On the driver side you will also need to disconnect the batt wire block from the fender. It will need a 10mm deep socket. And you'll need to take out the air box to get at a couple bolts on the radiator frame.last you will need a 10mm to undo the bolt holding the hood to the fender. I'll verify the number of bolts later when I go out. as far as a pain, it's really straight forward. Only as time consuming as getting the bolts out is. the fender will then slide straight off.

I had mine ripped apart (including replacing the radiator frame) and put back together in a weekend. And that was taking my time. why do you need to replace them anyhow? Smashed up?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Other than what you have stated, you will have the bolts holding the fender to the radiator core support up front as well as a bolt at the bottom of the fender behind the tire. This lower rear bolt can be a problem as it likes to rust into place.

*EDIT*
Whoops... Replied to a duplicate thread... Combined threads and merged the OP's posts.

The post above covers it very well.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
marcnet450 is on a distinguished road

Thanks y'all. This will be the 2nd time the front fenders will have been changed due to excessive corrosion. Received the 2 new fenders yesterday and can't wait to install them. Too bad it's impossible to find quarter panels for the rear? Anybody know specifically I can find some?

The front bumper wasn't too difficult to remove except for the no. 5 torque bolts where I didn't have the bit to complete the job myself. Had to go to the local garage and spend $5 to have the guy remove them for me -then the bumper slid off with ease.

Now for the fenders . . .