2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer starting/fuel pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 PM
cramcam is on a distinguished road
Angry 2000 Blazer starting/fuel pressure problem

I have a 2000 blazer with 4.3l CSEFI engine that won't start. I can get it started with starting fluid, and it will run after that but it hesitates from time to time, nearly stalling.

After I shut it off, it will restart if I try within 10 minutes. After that, it won't restart without using the starting fluid.

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge. When I turn the key and the engine is cold, it reads around 48-50 PSI. At this point it won't start. When I start it with the fluid and it's running, the pressure goes up to around 55 psi. When I shut it off and turn the key back on the pressure reads around 58psi. But if I leave it off for about 10 minutes that pressure drops back down to below 50 PSI again and it won't start again.

Is this problem my fuel pump?

Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

3 possibilities: Fuel filter is plugged, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. If you disconnect the outlet line on the filter and put a fuel pressure gauge on it (use 2 clamps if you can) and turn the key on, the gauge should go to at least 60 and preferably at least 70psi. If the pressure isn't any higher than what you're seeing then the pump is bad.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Default Problem fixed

Thank you for that info. I disconnected the fuel feed line at the fuel filter, checked the pressure there and I was only getting 48psi. So I changed the fuel pump (found one on eBay for only $69, Auto Zone wanted $330) and it started right up.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you got it running. Replaced the filter too I hope. I've been running one of those $75 Ebay pumps for two years, the pump has been good but I can't say much about the tank level sensor on it (I reset my tripmeter when I fill it).

Last edited by RonJon; 08-06-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cramcam
Thank you for that info. I disconnected the fuel feed line at the fuel filter, checked the pressure there and I was only getting 48psi. So I changed the fuel pump (found one on eBay for only $69, Auto Zone wanted $330) and it started right up.

i hope you know those pumps don't last long . we tell every one to replace fuel pumps with ac delco or delphi . hope it lasts you a year or so

Old 07-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Default They don't

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
i hope you know those pumps don't last long . we tell every one to replace fuel pumps with ac delco or delphi . hope it lasts you a year or so

You're right, it lasted less than a year. It's what I needed though because I couldn't afford a better one at the time. I recently replaced it with a Delco.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cramcam
You're right, it lasted less than a year. It's what I needed though because I couldn't afford a better one at the time. I recently replaced it with a Delco.

i did the same mistake on my dads pickup ls and it lasted him like 6 months

Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
speedball is on a distinguished road

Had a bad experience with WIX fuel filter #33579 on my 2000 Blazer V6. It lasted only a short time after a shop put one on, $17.69 plus labor, Replaced it with a NAPA GOLD #3579, for $15.50. So far so good. I thought WIX was a premium brand name. Guess I was wrong. When I took it off (myself), found MADE IN TAIWAN stamped on the side. At least the NAPA filter has MADE IN USA stamped on it, cheaper price too!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Haybist is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having similair issues. I have a 2000 Blazer 4x4. It's not getting fuel. I took it on a 2.5 hour trip came home shut it of and it would not start. I noticed the fuel pump was not running. After I let it set for 20 mins it almost started and the pump started working? The fuel pump "sounds" to be running now and I get gas at the throttle body? I just replaced the fuel pump 8 months ago. The filter did seem somewhat plugged. It acted fine on our 2.5 hr trip, no jerking, chugging or loss of power.

So far I have done the following:

1. Replaced the filter
2. replaced the MAP Sensor (after I broke it $65 down the crapper)
3. I'm getting gas up to the throttle body. (I removed fuel lines and gas is present when I turn key on)
4. If i put gas directly in the throttle body it fires up.
5. Swapped relays

Is it possible the fuel pump is bad? The thought of this kills me. Maybe not enough pressure? I'm lost. GRRRRRRRRR

Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
nn2thelight is an unknown quantity at this point

COULD SOMEONE PLKEASE HELP ME??????

I have a 96 blazer 4x2 with 181k miles. The problem is that is stalls out on me while I am going down the road after I have been driving it for about 10 minutes. It doesnt do it when it is cold outside, only when the weather warms up (about 65-70 degrees) It does not matter if I have the air conditioner on or not. I have been reading these posts and this seems to be a common issue with these blazers but I have yet to read where anyone has found an answer on what to do to fix this. I took it to my mechanic and told him to drive it so he could see what it was doing and of course, it did not act up on him. He has checked the fuel pressure and the only code showing is the oxygen sensor. I also saw where someone mentioned the level of gas in the tank and I tend to keep mine on 1/2 full but havnt really noticed if this affects it or not. When it stalls it is as if someone turned the key off but will start right back up. The mechanic said if it would just quit all together then he would be able to know what was wrong and fix it until then, I have to drive it and risk getting stranded on the side of the road somewhere. Other than this problem this blazer runs like a watch, I couldnt ask for a better vehicle. So please, if anyone has any kind of ideas as to what this problem is I would appreciate the feedback.

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer starting/fuel pressure problem