2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Evaporator replacment...Brand?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Starting Member
JediKnight2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evaporator replacment...Brand?

Getting ready to have to replace the evaporator on my 97 Jimmy and was wondering if anyone has had positive/negative experience with any certain brand...

I have found the following
Factory Air
Ready-Aire
Delphi

and GMPARTSDIRECT had I guess a GM one for the same price range.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Evaporator replacment...Brand?

Never had to mess with the Evap system, but I know most of the stuff under the hood is marked Delphi....so I'd probably go with the Delphi Evap. if it were my blazer. Anyone know if Delphi is OEM?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Starting Member

Wondering if I should replace the Accumulator or anything else while the evaporator is being replaced...seems like a huge deal to do the evaporator and I don't wanna have to pay to get back in there.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will want to replace the filter/dryer as well. Clean the orifice tube. Make damn sure that you follow the directions for the proper amount of PAG oil back into the system for the components replaced.

I have used all of those manufacturers before (the three listed not GMPD.com) with success on a variety of different applications (from tractors, to ref-fer trailers, to blah, blah, snore)... Didn't help narrow it down for you. Delphi and Factory Air are quite good.

I would inspect all the other components, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! LOL Good luck!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Starting Member

Yeah I spoke with the guy that is doing it...and He said it would be a good idea to pick up the accumulator and orifice tub kit (filter) says it is better to do it all now...

Old 04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Hrm....He only agreed after you brought it up? I question his mettle..

Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Starting Member

Well...no...what it is is that my cousin used this guy to work on my Jimmy since he had it. So the guy knows the truck. HE would have done all of that, but I basically threw a wrench in it by asking if I could buy the parts....basically charge the parts and pay him cash for labor. So I am fairly certain he would have replaced all of that...I had called and told him I was about to get the parts picked up and asked the question should I replace the orifice tube and accumulator...and he said DEFINETLY. Basically....I'm throwin a wrench in the program